Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2019, 04:08 AM

Default Confusing waveform display for 32 bit float audio files

Today, while optimising my session exchange workflow between Logic Pro X and Pro Tools Ultimate, I stumbled on the inability of Pro Tools to properly render waveform display for 32 bit float audio files.

What I noticed is that, after importing a 32 bit float audio file that goes above 0DBFS, at unity gain, the audio file shows as clipped in the track waveform display. While this is not strictly correct, I can in a way understand this.
However, when I apply clip gain to turn down the gain to get it to proper '24 bit' levels (to not blow the output converters when using hardware inserts on those tracks), the waveform keeps showing as clipped. Therefore, it is impossible to judge whether/where any exaggerate peaks are located in the 32 bit float file and what the safe '24 bit' level should be set at.

Is this how an 'Industry Standard' DAW is supposed to work? Can't even properly display a waveform?

Anyone can chime in on how to deal with this problem? Any workarounds? Greatly appreciate.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Confusing waveform display for 32 bit float audio files

Known issue.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:50 AM

teaches you for proper gain staging
Old 11-17-2019, 10:58 AM

I thought I found a workaround, but instead I think I may have found yet another bug. Unbelievable.

Workaround: Use AudioSuite Normalize using PEAK setting. This should make sure nothing goes out over 0DBFS. An extra step, but fine for me. Indeed, seems to work and proper waveform is recovered and displayed!

Now, accidentally, I tried to normalise again to 0dB PEAK, but strangely enough, Pro Tools shrunk the audio even further! This should not happen, PEAK should stay PEAK! I'll try to attach a screenshot.

Another bug, right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 19.51.29 (2).jpg (65.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-19-2019, 08:32 AM

Update:

After about 5 hours on the phone with support, they acknowledge it 'might' be a bug and my two tickets are now forwarded to engineering 'for evaluation'.

Cases:

03827599 Confusing waveform display for 32 bit float audio files
03827668 When iteratively applying AudioSuite Normalize in PEAK mode, Pro Tools keeps shrinking the audio file
Old 12-09-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJENSEN View Post
I thought I found a workaround, but instead I think I may have found yet another bug. Unbelievable.

Workaround: Use AudioSuite Normalize using PEAK setting. This should make sure nothing goes out over 0DBFS. An extra step, but fine for me. Indeed, seems to work and proper waveform is recovered and displayed!

Now, accidentally, I tried to normalise again to 0dB PEAK, but strangely enough, Pro Tools shrunk the audio even further! This should not happen, PEAK should stay PEAK! I'll try to attach a screenshot.

Another bug, right?
This issue has been cleared up with Avid Support and is not a bug really. It is caused by the default AudioSuite settings for rendering mode and handle lengths. When you use 'Create continuous file' in combination with 'Entire selection', the audio handle length gets added to the playlist selection and the process looks to adjacent clips for determining normalisation ceiling, and not simply within the parent audio file. Quite confusing, but I get it now.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Good to hear you got it out of your system