Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-25-2020, 01:34 PM

Default Pitch to MIDI in PT 2020.11

From what I've been reading Melodyne Essential which we get in 2020.11 does the pitch to MIDI conversion. However when I go to the Celemony site and look at the comparison chart for the different versions they show that Essential does NOT do pitch to MIDI but Assistant (the next level up) does. So what's the story on this? Are we getting a jiggered version of Essential?

BTW Celemony is having an upgrade to Assistant for $99 US and the same upgrade from Audio Deluxe is $79 (but not for as long a time period as buying from Celemony). I'd almost jump on this. I don't need all Assistant does but the pitch-to-MIDI would be huge for me.

QAPLA!
Old 11-25-2020, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Pitch to MIDI in PT 2020.11

Version 5.1 up. Registration in Avid account.
If you've done this give it a try.
If you need more then spend more.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Version 5.1 up. Registration in Avid account.
If you've done this give it a try.
If you need more then spend more.
You missed my question. I'm asking how can Essential do something that on Celemony's own website says it can't do? I'm talking about the pitch to MIDI. Already registered Essential.

BTW - this is weird - I went to check my Avid account and the page came up in Spanish with a mix of English thrown in.

QAPLA!
Old 11-25-2020, 03:40 PM

No, I got it but couldn’t find comparison for 5.1 or later versions.
Just seems all versions up to Studio just add greater abilities in the audio edit department. All do MIDI the same.
4 me V3-studio midi control is/was a nice feature not available since v4<

Happy Holiday
music is fun
t
Old 11-25-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
No, I got it but couldn’t find comparison for 5.1 or later versions.
Just seems all versions up to Studio just add greater abilities in the audio edit department. All do MIDI the same.
4 me V3-studio midi control is/was a nice feature not available since v4<

Happy Holiday
music is fun
t
You are still missing what I'm asking about. According to the Celemony site Essential which we get with 2020.11 doesn't do pitch to MIDI where the higher versions of Celemony do. How is it that Avid has their version do something that Celemony says it doesn't do?

QAPLA!
Old 11-26-2020, 02:10 AM

Default Pitch to MIDI in PT 2020.11

It’s an interesting question.

When 2020.11 dropped and I saw the audio to midi function, the first thing I thought was ‘it won’t do polyphonic’ as that’s reserved for higher versions of Melodyne. But, judging by the videos as I’m still yet to install it, it does do polyphonic audio to midi.

So yeah, I too wonder if it’s some sort of ‘tweaked version’ interaction wth Melodyne specific to PT. If you’re really curious, maybe email Celemony and see if they can shed some light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2020, 06:26 AM

Not so much jiggered version of Melodyne, but I don’t know for sure, but I suspect it is a precursor to ARA.

More of a jiggering of Pro Tools. I use Melodyne Studio, but the drag and drop of audio to midi within Pro Tools is really slick and pretty good also.

I recently used it to enhance a mandolin track that I was not happy with and could not re-record, because my brother played it and has died.

Anyway, I thought it was a really slick implementation.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 11-26-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
Not so much jiggered version of Melodyne, but I don’t know for sure, but I suspect it is a precursor to ARA.

More of a jiggering of Pro Tools. I use Melodyne Studio, but the drag and drop of audio to midi within Pro Tools is really slick and pretty good also.

I recently used it to enhance a mandolin track that I was not happy with and could not re-record, because my brother played it and has died.

Anyway, I thought it was a really slick implementation.
I fit is a precursor to ARA that would be great. I emailed Celemony support and got a reply back from Ulf. Quoting from what he wrote: "indeed the implementation in Pro Tools allow to benefit from audio to MIDI conversion with any recent Melodyne." To me that means something was done in PT to make audio to MIDI possible with Essential.

I'm finding it takes really clean sounds to get a decent conversion to MIDI. I took a played in via MIDI keyboard of a bass line and used the Rickenbacker Bass in Kontakt 6. Rendered the MIDI to audio in PT and then used Essential to render the MIDI back out. Awful mess until I cleaned up some overlapping notes no matter which conversion technique I used. Once I cleaned up that I got a perfect rendition back out of the MIDI notes except for velocity which was too high compared to the original MIDI.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 11-26-2020 at 11:54 AM. Reason: added quotation marks
Old 11-26-2020, 12:05 PM

This pitch to MIDI is driving me nuts. I'm trying to reverse audio to MIDI from audio rendered from MIDI. When I do ITB drums using BFD 3 I use separate outputs for each kit piece like I would a real drum kit. One track for kick, another for snare, etc. These all go to separate audio tracks so the only thing on the kick audio track is the kick audio. In BFD I turn off all bleed from other kit pieces.

Here's what I do: take the kick audio and extract the MIDI from it. Melodyne chews on it using the percussive algo. When it's done it spits out the MIDI which looks nothing like the original MIDI. In this case the kick drum audio starts at measure 84 and Essential spits out a string of MIDI notes starting at measure 1. There's no kick drum MIDI notes in the original MIDI. Also the MIDI notes have the wrong length as apparently Melodyne sees the tail but I think that may be due to the sustain of the kick drum hit.

Now if I try the same procedure with the snare audio it gets the MIDI extract right (save for velocity). The original MIDI for this track starts at measure 83 and that's what Melodyne spits out for the recovered MIDI data.

Can someone explain what's going on? I'm trying these tests so I can try and wrap my head around things before going on to real material. You know - the old start with known-good and work with that.

QAPLA!