Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 02-15-2001, 08:34 AM

Default MIDI Output

Okay. I'm a little slow at this. I can get my drum machine to record MIDI information on a MIDI track but now I can't get it back into my drum machine to trigger sounds. I have an aux track set-up to recieve audio out but... is there a something that I have to enable somewhere or is there a problem with the MIDI input on my drum machine?
Old 02-16-2001, 12:03 AM

Default Re: MIDI Output

Hi,

Sounds like ProTools and your drum machine aren't communicating on the same channel. There are 16 channels to choose from for each MIDI port/cable. Each ProTools MIDI track must be assigned a MIDI channel to transmit on. This must correspond with the same MIDI receive channel in your synth/sampler/drum-machine of the instrument you want it to play.

eg.

Ch.1 Siberian Sitar
Ch.2 Transylvanian Harp
Ch.3 Antarctic Flute

N.B. It may very well be that you can only run one drumkit on any one channel at a time. Other synths can run a different instrument on each of its 16 MIDI channels.

Check with your drum-machine's manual to see how to designate a MIDI receive channel for a drumkit.

Now, ProTools must speak the same language. On the left-hand side of the MIDI track, there's an assortment of options/buttons. At the top-right of which, you'll be able to assign which synth you wish it to play. From there, you'll be able to access the channel the MIDI track is to be transmited (tx) on. Make sure this number matches the MIDI receive (rx) channel of your drum machine.

I hope this helps you. Keep us posted with you results.

Phil