Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2001, 11:48 PM

Default Is it my Triton or my Digi001?

I have a digi001 and a 61 key note triton, and when I use the Midi it goes to bank G and no matter what channel I use it has the same sounds and it stays in bank G. Does anyone that has a 61 key note Triton work station know how to make the channels seperate by instrument. (ex. know how to make one channel for piano, another channel for drums, etc.) Or perhaps could this be a digi001 problem? And yes, I am new to the Midi world. Please help! Anybody!
Old 02-06-2001, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Is it my Triton or my Digi001?

I doubt it's the 001. It would help to know if you have PC or a Mac. The communication software is significantly different between them. I've never done much midi on a PC, but know OMS (Mac) pretty well.

You should verify that the Triton patch name definition file is correct in OMS - this would assume you're using a Mac.

One thing that you should look up in the manual: "Bank Changes". That will get you out of Bank G.

I'm not familiar with the Triton (I have two other Korgs, tho'), but most synths have a "single" mode and a "Performance" or "Multi" mode. The Performance mode is the one which allows separate midi channels and separate patches per channel.

Korg manuals are not terribly difficult and it sounds like it's time to dig in. A Midi primer might also be helpful. There are several decent ones available from the Mix Bookshelf, Amazon, etc.

------------------
LW

[This message has been edited by lwilliam (edited February 06, 2001).]

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 02-07-2001, 07:37 PM

I have a Triton/001/G4 and have found the following. Go to the global button on the Triton and select the midi page. Turn off allow programme change. This should sort out some of the problem out. Also turn of local control on the same page. With local contraol off, to hear the Triton sound, you will now need to record enable a MIDI track in PT. Remember to set up a stereo aux track in PT for the audio of the Triton (use the L/R stereo outputs of the Triton and connect them to the back inputs of the 001). If you don't do this you won't hear the sound output from the Triton playing back with your audio but will see the midi faders lighting up - that can be REALLY frustrating to figure out. Anyway, all single programmes on the Triton transmit one at a time on channel 1. This means you can set up PT with a midi track and have the Triton be the sound source for it using any sound from bank A , B etc etc. This is fine until you want to add more MIDI tracks using the Triton. If you want strings on your next MIDI channel, drums on the next etc etc you will hear the same sound accross all the channels each time you change it. To get around this go into sequencer mode on the Triton. You can then assign 16 tracks with individual sounds and effects in the Triton's sequencer. You won't actually be sequencing any tracks on the Triton, just assigning the tracks as 16 individual 'sound source' channels which you can record, indivdually, in PT. This works really well. Unfortunately you will loose the effects and arps assigned to the regular bank A-D sounds when you call up that sound in the Triton's sequencer. This is the only problem but you can add the effects and arps to the tracks again with a bit of tweaking. This set up works fine for me. I can have up to 16 different sounds from the Triton with up to 5 effects and 2 master effects plus arps etc going straight into PT. This before you have to touch anything in PT apart from the channel assign. This puts hardly any pressure on the PT system at all. Easy money. Using the basic but easy and effective midi sequencing in PT you can get some massive sounding tarcks... then you can add some audio, and other separate midi devices. You will need to save your sequence 'song' sets to disk (floppy) on the Triton each time you modify them or you'll loose it. Simply load the sequence when you fire up the Triton, open your PT session and away it goes. Hours of fun.

As far as I know OMS does not have a patch list for the Triton - you have to use the numbers in the patch change window. You don't really need the names anyway to get the job done - the names display in the Triton's sequencer window.

Hope this helps - it might be a bit long-winded...
Old 02-08-2001, 02:48 AM

I have used a G4 with PTLE and a Triton using MIDI. Look up bank changes in your triton manual. I believe it's 0 for controller 0, and 1 (if you want bank A) for controller 32.
You should be able to set the triton to SEQ and get what sounds you want on the channels, then set the patch/bank changes to recall them when you press play.
Old 02-10-2001, 12:14 AM

I am having the exact same problem using the Triton, Pro Tools LE with the 001 on a G4. It keeps going to bank G when I choose other tracks/midi channels. I had some help in Digidesign Tech Support but it did not help. When I used a separate midi interface, other than the 001's midi, it was working. I'll try what Sir Issac said but if there is anyone else who has ideas please chime in. Thanks
Old 02-11-2001, 06:19 PM

Sir Issac,
I unchecked the "program change enable" in the global midi menu of the Triton and it solved my problem. Thanks alot, Christoph1123
Old 02-11-2001, 07:48 PM

The patches for your Triton are posted at http://www.visionsj.com/oms/names.html .

You can write Combi's that hold the sounds you want to use and save them in user banks. The above info for adjusting the triton on Global are correct.

doc

[This message has been edited by doc22 (edited February 11, 2001).]
Old 02-12-2001, 01:15 AM

I have a similar problem with my Kurzweil K2000. I must make sure that the synth doesn´t accept program change-messages in order to use it without problems. I use ptle with my pc and suspect that it is the software that is sending out some wierd signal when you set up a miditrack.. I have not noticed any bank/patch-changes or any other controlmessages that may cause the problem. Maybe the upcoming midi event-list will explain what´s going on.

Henrik Hansson
Old 02-13-2001, 10:00 PM

As doc22 says you can also set up a combi programme with separate instruments and have them play over accross separtate MIDI tracks at the same time. The only limitation in combi mode is that you are limited to 8 MIDI tracks. If you use sequencer mode you can get 16 tracks although I'd steer clear of using MIDI track 1 (so that's 15 then). Although if you use combi mode the sound sources may retain their arps/effect settings etc but I'm not entirely sure...