Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 04:04 PM

Default Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating

Hello,

I've had no problem creating new Sessions in PT 12.6. until now.

I was watching a YouTube tutorial on using Kontakt MultiOuts within Pro Tools, and went to make a new session to work through the tute.
Each attempt at creating a new session displayed the error message:

"Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating"

I looked through the web and found others in the past had this problem, but am not sure why it's happening or what to do about it.

One person said NEVER Update anything with a session open.
I realised that before I saw this guy's post, I DID update the KONTAKT Factory Content in order to work through the tutorial.

I'm not sure if I still had PT open or closed during that Content Update.
I can't think of anything else that may have caused this error.
Would such a simple update completely disable PT 12.6 from creating a new session.

BTW, I can still open sessions created prior to this error which happened 45 minutes ago.

Any helpful suggestions gratefully appreciated, as I'm bang in the middle of some heavy keyboard editing sessions for a new album and need to get back to work.

Cheers...
OSX 10.10.5, 2.5Ghz i5, 16GB RAM | Pro Tools 12.6 | Avid Eleven Rack | Avid Artist Mix | LPX 10.2 | Genelec Monitors | Korg Kronos 61 | Alesis DM10 | DBZ & Maton & Epiphone Electric and Acoustic Guitars | N.I. Komplete 10 | Etc...
Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating

Check out this article from the Avid knowledge base.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Could not create a new document because Permission denied (13) while creating

Thanks for the article link.

I did in fact see that article before posting my request, but as I'm trying to create a regular Session, not a Project for Cloud services / collaboration, I assumed it was not applicable for a Session.

I will try that suggestion, but don't see how / why it should have just ocurred out of the blue, given that I've had no prior issue creating a Session.

Any suggestion as to the Session versus Project issue here?
OSX 10.10.5, 2.5Ghz i5, 16GB RAM | Pro Tools 12.6 | Avid Eleven Rack | Avid Artist Mix | LPX 10.2 | Genelec Monitors | Korg Kronos 61 | Alesis DM10 | DBZ & Maton & Epiphone Electric and Acoustic Guitars | N.I. Komplete 10 | Etc...
Old 02-28-2017, 02:15 PM

OK, I followed the steps from the article in Avid Knowledge Base as quoted above.

I set all permissions in the 'Documents/Pro Tools' folder to 'Read & Write" and also confirmed these in 'Documents/Pro Tools/Projects' folder.

I am still getting the same Error message, and can't create a New Session.

Just to be clear, I am trying to create a SESSION, not a PROJECT or anything involving CLOUD SERVICES and/or Collaboration.

Does anybody have a fix for this, as it suddenly happened at random, after never had this issue before.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:33 PM

I'd suggest to repair disk permissions, but I have no idea how it's done in El C. and Sierra.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:47 PM

THIS IS THE FIX for this issue. After 3 days searching the web etc, it was something that took approximately 60 seconds to resolve.

I Did This:

After confirming that my Data HD was set to 'Read+Write' permissions:
Click CMD + i on my Data HD, and then enabled "ignore ownership on this volume".

So easy to achieve, so long in the finding.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 PM

Ah, I see. Thanks for letting us know the solution.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:16 AM

I am having this same issue and hope that someone can help. I have checked all of my permissions and they're all set correctly, read/write. This is out of the blue. I can't figure out why it happened and am getting super frustrated trying to find a work around. I can access all of my existing sessions but cannot create a new one. I tried Command + I on the data drive but it didn't fix the issue. Can anybody help?