Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 10-02-2016, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools MTRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
But they are MADI and word clock connectors on a DX32. So the question remains....
Loopsync is just WC x256 (aka super clock), and since it has the Digilinks and the box is HD compatible, it stands to reason that those BNCs are used for Loopsync. But hopefully a current DAD x32 user will chime in.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:45 AM

LoopSync is 1x WC
Old 10-02-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
LoopSync is 1x WC
Just did some digging, and it seems that when a Sync I/O is connected it outputs super clock? IOW, HD rigs use 1x WC, like you mentioned, but 256x super clock when a Sync box is hooked up. I assumed Loopsync was Digi taking WC and "upsampling it".

Old 10-02-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Just did some digging, and it seems that when a Sync I/O is connected it outputs super clock? IOW, HD rigs use 1x WC, like you mentioned, but 256x super clock when a Sync box is hooked up. I assumed Loopsync was Digi taking WC and "upsampling it".
Output is 256x when you interface with legacy MIX hardware. If you don't have legacy hardware in the chain, loop sync is 1x and can be used as such whether you needed to connect to other interfaces or not. (say, you have one interface only and want to share the word clock to multiple boxes. loop sync is one valid source, you don't necessarily need external master clock)
Old 10-02-2016, 10:26 AM

based on this page and diagrams, it appears to NOT use Loop Sync.

http://www.digitalaudio.dk/page1216.aspx

Old 10-02-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Output is 256x when you interface with legacy MIX hardware. If you don't have legacy hardware in the chain, loop sync is 1x and can be used as such whether you needed to connect to other interfaces or not. (say, you have one interface only and want to share the word clock to multiple boxes. loop sync is one valid source, you don't necessarily need external master clock)
I think this is correct its 1x now. The old 888 you had 256x super clock for slave clock. From an engineering viewpoint 1x seems just easy to do. I'm not sure why super clock was ever a thing. OK with old converters and electronics maybe 256x made sense to drive the converter sample clock directly, but with modern electronics you might as well reconstruct that locally. And get better phase noise etc. on the reconstructed clock.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-02-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
based on this page and diagrams, it appears to NOT use Loop Sync.

http://www.digitalaudio.dk/page1216.aspx
Right, so we are back, again, to the original question asked at the head of this thread.

Not having loop sync is going to be a pain for some customers with existing HD rigs, its a great question for Avid to clarify.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Right, so we are back, again, to the original question asked at the head of this thread.

Not having loop sync is going to be a pain for some customers with existing HD rigs, its a great question for Avid to clarify.

Correct, and that is why I asked it ;-)
Old 10-02-2016, 06:33 PM

FWIW Sweetwater has some pricing here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MTRX
Old 10-02-2016, 08:18 PM

Hi Guess it was not necessary to use loop sync with this unit.

I have the DAD AX32. I`m using it with one digilink port connect to my
computer, and my PT SOFT "see`s" a MADI Interface with 64 I/O. I guess If I connect the other port of my HD NATIVE to the second digilink port, It will see another MADI I/O or AVID I/O and will "resolve" all the clock issues internally...
but I only guess.

What I also already did was to connect two different pro tools machines, i.e. two different computers, one to each digilink port and it work seamlessly, like plug and play and I was able to send signal from one to another, and to monitor the sum in about 5 minutes of setup...

I did the same using digilink and dante. Also route signals using the AES built int ports... the AX32 was really amazing and I thinks it really sounds good.

I also check the sweetwater link and notice that it seems that the Avid MTRX unit will not be selling with default DA cards...

I pay around USD 5K to my DAD wich inclued all the base configurations (16 channels of AES I/O, one coaxial MADI I/O pair, two mini DigiLink ports,) + PRO|MON license (to use it as monitor box with S6) and a DA card with 8 outputs.
The basic version at the time (3 or 4 months ago) was about USD3K without any AD/DA card and without the PRO|MON license.

It seems that te MTRX will come with the monitor license as default. At the time of my purchase - need to run 2 pro tools together, it was a easy decision. I spent just 5K to have 8 pristine outputs, a nice monitor box, summing box, routing matrix, and was able to route more then 32 channels between 2 pro tools using only digilink cables or DANTE.
If I try to do that with classic AVID I/O I would spent around 9K just to wire up 2 AVID MADI I/O.
-----