Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 PM

Default Anyone else here concerned with the lack of available DSP plugins?

The title pretty much say's it all. The fact that we are left with no option other than to use our pricey HDX systems mostly as Native systems just doesn't look like the future of Pro Record Production to me. I'm back on HD TDM Pro Tools 10 here. How 'bout you guys?
Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Anyone else here concerned with the lack of available DSP plugins?

I haven't upgraded (so to speak ) to 11 yet - if at all.

Frankly I'm not sure if Pro Tools has a rosy future or not. If it does, I'll catch up at PT 12 or 13.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:41 PM

Everyone just email Waves and demand AAX-DSP, others will follow. I myself have spent zero money on Waves since I've moved on to PT11 and there are no Waves AAX-DSP available. Even let my WUP run out, because what's the point?
Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 PM

With Avid, Flux, MetricHalo, McDSP, Softube, and Sonnox offerings in AAX DSP code a lot of bases are covered. I think more will come in the next 6 months.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 AM

There's over 130+ dsp plugins at the moment. The biggest difference is in fact Waves which had an insane numbers of plugins for the market, but there's still a lot of plugins to be used and a lot of good ones at that.

Wave-T.com
Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
There's over 130+ dsp plugins at the moment. The biggest difference is in fact Waves which had an insane numbers of plugins for the market, but there's still a lot of plugins to be used and a lot of good ones at that.
Werner:
Given the above - what are you missing in dsp plugins that you need? Can you give plugin names (developers, etc.) and not just something generic like eq or compressors? Remember that not all developers are going to do aax64 plugins.

QAPLA!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Dynamics and EQ are well covered, but the greatest need I'm feeling is for modulation based effects ala the SoundToys bundles and Waves stomp box series. I have yet to find a DSP based delay effect anywhere near as flexible as Echoboy; I'm really hoping SoundToys goes DSP. Looking for good flexible delay fx, phasing, flanging, rotary speaker emulation; none of that seems to exist in the DSP world yet.

For an artist that needs to record with these kinds of effects live on their instrument this is kind of a drag.

best,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Werner:
Given the above - what are you missing in dsp plugins that you need? Can you give plugin names (developers, etc.) and not just something generic like eq or compressors? Remember that not all developers are going to do aax64 plugins.
As Rich has said, the Soundtoys plugins are a big hole in my creative workflow. There is not one other harmonic distortion plugin anyway near DeCapitator. There is also no equivalent for Echoboy. The list goes on with their other plugins. I have spent overr an hour on the phone with them and, unfortunately, they have no plans for DSP development at this point.

Last edited by WernerF; 06-17-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Everyone just email Waves and demand AAX-DSP, others will follow. I myself have spent zero money on Waves since I've moved on to PT11 and there are no Waves AAX-DSP available. Even let my WUP run out, because what's the point?
I'm with JFreak on this- what is the point of the Waves WUP? I let mine run out as well since moving on to HDX with Pro Tools 11. Sure, I miss those plug-ins as DSP, but there's too many other Plug-in Players to continue my investment with Waves. Seriously- what is the point? Am I missing any reason to update?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:08 PM

No Waves is the primary reason we're not on HDX. In fact, there are practically no good AAX DSP plugins that I'd keep from tracking to mix. That's the whole problem with HDX for things other than Post. It's like using the DSP mixer of RME for tracking, then starting over when it comes mix time.

It wasn't AVID's intention to not have AAX DSP plugins available, although they sure didn't make it easy. Even Massey will probably not appear in AAX DSP format.

We have Betamax all over again. Superior product, slow sales, and no supported peripherals (plugins).