Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Avid Cloud Collaboration
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2016, 06:15 AM

Default Re: Cloud Collaboration cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
That would be mean wouldn't it? Cheers
Agreed. Honestly, I quite liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Honestly I haven't seen it, but I am in the camp with Sir Nigel....glad you got it to work and wish you well but I am not planning on using the features

I have a setup in the country, and bank on people coming to me... :)

BTW - When are you gonna sell me your used D-Command ?

I have a setup in the country, and bank on people coming to me... :)

BTW - When are you gonna sell me your used D-Command ?

Cheers
Pretty much the situation as I have. My studio is at the corner of 14th and Plumb (14 miles out, plumb in the middle of nowhere) Actually, the road is called Squaw Creek Road. I built my studio in a cattle shed once I stopped raising cattle.

I too count on clients coming to me, but I have done the Box, DropBox, iCloud collab on occasion. I can easily see myself as a "sometimes" 500 MB user right away, and probably no more than 20 GB a month level ever. I'll have to see how it works with the satellite internet.

Thanks for the tip, Tom, about renaming the ProTools on a Mac. I had never heard that, and I definitely use that when 12.5 drops.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 03-25-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
PS - no ones made any jokes about my song yet…
Your bass and guitar 'I'm a one take man' efforts were edited out of the videos, and Gil helpfully mixed you way back, presumably to spare your blushes ;-)

If you'd care to post a link to the takes, I'm sure someone here will be up for scrutinising them for any potential cringeworthy elements that we could ridicule for all eternity.

;-)
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 03-26-2016, 09:29 AM

Hi Tom, I just notice on the protools expert site, that cloud collaboration uses a lossless compression on the audio files (down to 3x the actual size of it). Can you give us more info on that please? What kind of codec are you using? Is it really lossless? Thanks!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 03-26-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
I just notice on the protools expert site, that cloud collaboration uses a lossless compression on the

Yeah, that's noted in original Avid blog post...

Same here, extremely interested in the tech behind the collaboration platform... love to learn more

Last edited by taylor4814; 03-26-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:27 PM

$300 a year? Thanks, I'll pass.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 03-27-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
So yes - you can 'delist' a current collaborator and then invite a new one. And or - a person can leave as a collaborator on their own.
Hi Tom,
The videos nicely show how one would take a local session and push it to the cloud, but what about the reverse? If I have a project in the cloud and want to make it a local session to make room for a new project in the cloud, how does that work? Similar to adding and removing collaborators I assume?

Thanks much. New options are looking good so far.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:13 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboBing View Post
Hi Tom,
The videos nicely show how one would take a local session and push it to the cloud, but what about the reverse? If I have a project in the cloud and want to make it a local session to make room for a new project in the cloud, how does that work? Similar to adding and removing collaborators I assume?

Thanks much. New options are looking good so far.
Hi,

Thanks for the props on the videos. Any project can do the reverse of what we showed - essentially doing a 'Save Session Copy In" and making new audio files to turn it into a traditional, local session. You then could delete that Project from your Project list.

Thanks,
Tom

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 03-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelis View Post
Hi Tom, I just notice on the protools expert site, that cloud collaboration uses a lossless compression on the audio files (down to 3x the actual size of it). Can you give us more info on that please? What kind of codec are you using? Is it really lossless? Thanks!
Hi Fidelis…

We use WavPack lossless audio compression on uploaded and downloaded audio files to minimize their size and speed up transfer times. This compression can reduce files up to 70% of their original size, so you can work on a large Project that takes up only a fraction of the real space. Audio quality is bit-for-bit accurate after the transfer, so there’s no change to the sound.

Thanks,
Tom

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 03-28-2016, 11:43 AM

I've been using wavpack to archive for over a decade and it's incredible compared to any other lossless encoding. It handles floating point files and maintains all of the metadata. The result is bit for bit identical files. Speaking of archive, that would be a wonderful new feature to add to Pro Tools!
Old 03-28-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
Hi Fidelis…

We use WavPack lossless audio compression on uploaded and downloaded audio files to minimize their size and speed up transfer times. This compression can reduce files up to 70% of their original size, so you can work on a large Project that takes up only a fraction of the real space. Audio quality is bit-for-bit accurate after the transfer, so there’s no change to the sound.

Thanks,
Tom
thought it was some Source-Elements voodoo magic under the hood...