Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-23-2009, 06:44 AM

Default does anyone actually use Protools for COMPOSING ?

I find myself jumping back and forth between Logic and Protools;
due to the superiority of Logic (when it comes to VIs).
I wonder - are many of you actually using Protools to compose ? (using many VIs etc...).
Old 08-23-2009, 07:13 AM

Default Re: does anyone actually use Protools for COMPOSING ?

I do. I prefer to, as I mix as I go. I do commit VIs to audio when I am relatively sure of the part, but I hide and make inactive so I can come back to it if needs be. I also will do a stereo mix of PT session and then import into Logic for adding more VIs. Omnisphere is just a non starter In PT for me, so
I use this method for using it.

There is no question that Logic is way better for hosting VIs but I just cant stand using it. Whatever it is, I just dont get it. DP used to be my sequencer of choice, but it seems that MOTU are pretty lame at fixing things now. I remember running DP3 on a PT rig and it was brilliant. Rock solid, but that was 10 years ago

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 08-23-2009, 07:40 AM

There are ways of successfully syncing Logic and ProTools--search the DUC. If I'm songwriting--it works for me to print audio as I go along, but if I'm doing a TV project, it's nice to keep my options open and leave things in VI mode as long as possible. That's when a superior VI and midi sequencing program (Logic) becomes crucial. But don't ask me to mix on it.

Running the two of them alongside each other allows me to mix as I go along while being able to tweak parts and forms on the fly. In those situations I record all my audio in PT, and do all my VI programming in Logic. Make sure and stripe everything when you're done. In a year Logic will make the current VI's obsolete, somebody will ask for a recall of your project and then you're screwed!
Old 08-23-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
In a year Logic will make the current VI's obsolete, somebody will ask for a recall of your project and then you're screwed!
which is exactly why i DON"T us PT8PE

my UA plugs are all over the last decade of my own CD and my clients

i love being virtual and being able to revisit my music and ready to do so for my clients as well

i STILL use my trusty ol' LINN 9000 to sequence and then i drop into PT

i know that piece of gear so well...it just plain time effective for me

but i do like those new VIs (piano and organ)
i imported into 7.4 from my PT8PE purchase

that alone was worth the price of admission.

but i must say my most pro keyboard players say some of the other piano (ivory and others) and organs (?) sound more realistic than Digi's gift....but i'm happy to have those for now.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post
are many of you actually using Protools to compose ? (using many VIs etc...).
I am using Digi VI's a lot... Structure for drum augmenting... and also for strings keys etc... Xpand2 for strings and Boom... great for working out basic grooves and supplemental grooves. I don't use the D33 for much but I do use it.. The Mini Grand is also great...

If people are more familiar with another programs then that is what they should use. I still remember have Cakewalk 4 from the late 80's or early 90's and what that was like as far as composing.... Blech!

PT8 for me is fast and easy to compose on whether I use midi view or notation view.. The VI's make scoring for video a breeze for me...
Digidesign 003R+PTLE 8.0.4 DV Toolkit 2, ASUS P5Q Pro P45, CPU INTEL Q6600 2.40G, CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DR2 1066 (PC2 8500) ATI Radeon™ X1550 DIAMOND Stealth PCIe 1 Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA Hard Drive (Root/Sys) 1 Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA Hard Drive (Audio/Video) 1 PPA 80GB 1394 Firewire Oxford 911 PYRO PCI64R2 3 Port Firewire Card (PCIe) Antec 300 case. PSU ROSEWILL RP600V2-S-SL 600W,
Windows 7 64 bit.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:53 AM

i compose in pro tools. strike, transfuser, velvet, mini grand, xpand, hybrid and virus are the most used, along with some real guitars/bass and vocals. works great for me.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 AM

Many producers/song writers compose in Protools.
All the composition tools are there - all you need in some creativity talent
Old 08-23-2009, 10:20 AM

I compose in P T's 8 with no problems. I use DKFH 2, Velvet, B4II, Ivory, Mini Moog V, Vacum, Indigo, etc, and tons of guitars and bass. Works just fine.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Hi!

+1 for composing ITB with PT8. I use all AIR vi's and BFD right now. My rig is very stable and sounds just right.

Rubicon

ML 10.8.2, PT 10.3.1 HD Accel 3, Mac Harpertown 32gb Apple RAM, 4 1T Apple Drives, Waves Mercury. Lots of unstable VI's.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:44 AM

Songwriting? Always. Commercials? Usually. Film and TV score? Rarely.

I generally don't do film and TV scores in PT, unless the scores are smaller and non orchestral and or non midi in nature. PT is still too midi track cumbersome and unstable with big VI counts for large midi sessions (300+ tracks) I use DP5 fronting DAE 7 on tiger - which works very well.

But, I've always used PT for songs and album productions, mixing and it's still my preferred method for tracking and audio editing.