Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 AM

Default White Noise during Playback

I recently updated to Pro Tools 9 and updated the driver for my mbox 2.

When I playback imported Audio I hear nothing but static, same goes for importing OMF's & AAF's. The audio waveforms are there but it just plays static. Composing using midi works and sounds fine.

My system is mainly a video editing machine, so I know it can handle the processing. I've uninstalled, re-installed, trashed prefs, etc. nothing's working.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks in advance

My Specs:
Mac Pro Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors (Harpertown)
14GB RAM
2 TB of storage - 7200 RPM Sata Raid
Mbox 2
OSX 10.6.3
Pro Tools 9
Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 AM

Default Re: White Noise during Playback

is the white noise on tracks you RECORD into this session? either by bouncing from an instrument track or recording directly from your inputs? do imported files from other sources work ok? I'm curious because I'm having the same problem with a 002R...

any audio I record in Pro Tools 9 plays as just loud digital static when I play it back in the session. I tried recording from an analog source, I tried bussing from another track... no matter what I try, it plays back as static in Pro Tools... However, I checked the actual files in the finder and they sound fine. I tried importing the files themselves into another session and creating new media by changing the sample rate... still digital static.
audio built in a session from Pro Tools 8 with this same 002R and from an Mbox Mini sound fine.

I had the problem in a session I created in PT 8, so I tried creating a new session in PT 9... same problems...

Glad I'm not the only one, but this system is pretty useless until I resolve this problem.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:01 PM

Sometimes I fix that issue consolidating some wavs. (the ones who have white noise in it) I hope this help you.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:19 PM

I've experimented on my system and I've found that the KIND OF DRIVES they reside on is having something to do with this problem... I have this session on an internal sata raid array and when the session is played back from that raid, I get the white noise issue. when I put it on an external firewire drive, no noise... Perhaps I missed something in setting up my raid? not sure what would cause this on a drive array that has tons of through put.

any ideas?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:03 PM

Raids are not approved for use with Protools.
Try putting your sessions on a single drive and see if that helps
Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 AM

Smile Re: White Noise during Playback

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't know about the RAID drive issue - the audio that I was importing and the .omf's were indeed on an internal raid. I will move them to an external firewire drive and see if this solves the issue and let ya'll know the results.

thanks again, I really appreciate all the help.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:55 PM

Mbox mini 3 sucks
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Default Re: White Noise during Playback - Resolved

I was having the same issue. Using a OWC 4TB Raid drive. The drive was not set up as Raid, but PT must have detected it was. The first 4 sessions I recorded worked fine. After the drive got over 2 TB (with footage from a TV show I am recording) I was not able to playback the last two PT sessions recorded. All that was on the output of every channel was white noise. Saved the sessions to my internal HD for test and they played fine.

GOOD LESSON HERE!
Old 09-17-2011, 03:15 PM

This thread was extremely helpful to me.

I was having this exact same problem, and was running the project from my internal Raid. As soon as I moved the project and it's files to the internal disk, the white noise issue was immediately resolved.

Thank you so much!

Does anyone know if Pro Tools will support Raids in a future update? This seems odd to me, since it's such a common set up.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:18 AM

I have the same problem even thought I have my session in an internal hard drive, which is the Seagate 3T. It still didn't fix the problem when I moved the session to the desktop or other hard drive. Now I can not work on that session any more. So frustrated!