How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2020, 03:39 AM

Default adding new track to existing playlist

I want to use Playlists for mixing.

I have 5 tracks in Playlist 1 and optional variations of those tracks in Playlist 2. They are grouped and I can switch between two different versions.

Later I'm adding a 6th track and it's corresponding variation. When I create a new playlist it's automatically Playlist 3 and 4. If I put those tracks in the same group they obviously don't change when I switch from Playlist 1 to Playlist 2.

How can I add new tracks to Playlist 1 and 2 within the same group?
Old 01-04-2020, 02:01 AM

Default Re: adding new track to existing playlist

no-one is using playlists for mixing different song versions ?
no work around ?
Old 01-04-2020, 06:34 AM

I’m not really sure what you are asking, so forgive me if I misunderstand.

Have you tried setting your tracks to playlist view? This would allow you to drag your older tracks down so that you may drag your newest version to the top.

In playlist view you’ll see a very narrow, empty playlist at the bottom, and you can drag any playlist there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-04-2020, 07:19 AM

Are you confused about things? Tracks are tracks and playlists are versions of a track. If you have grouped set of tracks you can "automate" handling of playlists, but it does not change the fact that a track can have a playlist, a playlist does not have a track.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:28 AM

It's been several years since I used playlists and this may be why; trying to do what you are saying, I remember it being really buggy and the playlists would get mixed up and all kinds of weird stuff would happen. So i really just recommend moving your existing playlist 1 and 2 versions into new playlist 3 and 4 so it's in "sync" with the new tracks. and then delete playlist 1 and 2 if they don't exist on the new track or you're just asking for trouble (based on my experience with pro tools 10 years ago so maybe they fixed it. but i wouldn't even try)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Are you confused about things?
not at all

Quote:
I remember it being really buggy and the playlists would get mixed up and all kinds of weird stuff would happen.
yes

Quote:
So i really just recommend moving your existing playlist 1 and 2 versions into new playlist 3 and 4 so it's in "sync" with the new tracks. and then delete playlist 1 and
sounds like a plan
Old 01-05-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyg View Post
I want to use Playlists for mixing.

I have 5 tracks in Playlist 1 and optional variations of those tracks in Playlist 2. They are grouped and I can switch between two different versions.

Later I'm adding a 6th track and it's corresponding variation. When I create a new playlist it's automatically Playlist 3 and 4. If I put those tracks in the same group they obviously don't change when I switch from Playlist 1 to Playlist 2.

How can I add new tracks to Playlist 1 and 2 within the same group?
OK ... before i tell you how to fo this ... what will i win if it works ???

here it is .. one of the original tracks that belong to the Correct Group, needs to Create the Playlists on the NEw Tracks you Wish to Add to that Group, so playlists will follow

1) Choose the 1st Track in your Group / Choose Playlist View - Choose the 1st Playlist (has to be the first) .. ie: Audio 1

2) Go to The Groups Menu - bottom left of Edit/Mix windows and Choose Modify Groups

3) Choose Follow Globals (or whatever Group you wish)

4) Under Tracks Menu / Add the New Track(s) - noting that the names should ALL look the same Audio 1, Audio 2, etc

5) Click OK and Now on that 1st Track - choose the 1st playlist then #2, then #3 in Ascending Order, until you have all of your playlists created ON the NEW Track(s) - Yes, if you watch along as you Choose the Playlists in Ascending Orde it will Create New Playlists on your New Added Track(s)

make sense ???

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-05-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
OK ... before i tell you how to fo this ... what will i win if it works ???
A happy and successful year 2020 with great projects and $$$$$

Jesus... I have to read your post 3 times LOL but I'm sure it will work because you probably did it before
Thank you

PS1:
I also found another workaround. I duplicate an existing track from the group without the playlist and drop a new wav file to that track. Well the plugins have to be copied manually though.

PS2:
Mixer-Snapshots and alternative Arrangements for PT 2020 please
Old 01-05-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
A happy and successful year 2020 with great projects and $$$$$

Jesus... I have to read your post 3 times LOL but I'm sure it will work because you probably did it before
Thank you

PS1:
I also found another workaround. I duplicate an existing track from the group without the playlist and drop a new wav file to that track. Well the plugins have to be copied manually though.

PS2:
Mixer-Snapshots and alternative Arrangements for PT 2020 please
ooh .. PS1 is a good idea !! i am sure that will work .. can you use a Track Preset to help bring Plugins into New Track(s) for this application ???

and i just found this workaround today due to your request - always cool to see if Pro Tools the Stiff Program as far as customizing did this little trick just fine - not sure if that is in the manual or not .. i had this come up many years ago and never since then until now !!! i was amazed that PT numbered it correctly, if you give it the right scenario ..

back to the Music now !!!

cheers

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-05-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
PS1:
I also found another workaround. I duplicate an existing track from the group without the playlist
This is what I do during scoring. John's way works but I find it slow when in a rush (which is all the time when recording orchestras.)
Also it keeps take numbers aligned.