Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 AM

Default PT9 with Projectmix i/o & Liquid Saffire 56?

Hi Im running a M-Audio Projectmix with ProTools9 and want to upgrade my audio interface to a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, but i still want to use my projectmix as a control surface and as an 8 channel preamp. Is this possible and how would i go about it? (My computer is a macbook pro)
I have trawled the forums already with little information to help me, so any bit of help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers R.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:24 PM

Default Re: PT9 with Projectmix i/o & Liquid Saffire 56?

Hey master-fader,

The LS56 is capable of dual unit performance via firewire. Connect the LS56 to your computer with the "Firewire 1" port, and then simply plug the ProjectMix IO into the "Firewire 2" port into the back of your LS56. This worked for my Pro 40, and I'm assuming the same for the LS56 (both capable of dual unit operation via firewire).

I realize this is a tad late, but since this thread popped up in my Google search, hopefully it will help the next guy. =)

Joseph
Old 08-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Focusrite

Quote:
The LS56 is capable of dual unit performance via firewire. Connect the LS56 to your computer with the "Firewire 1" port, and then simply plug the ProjectMix IO into the "Firewire 2" port into the back of your LS56. This worked for my Pro 40, and I'm assuming the same for the LS56 (both capable of dual unit operation via firewire).
Unfortunately this Dual Unit Mode only works with two compatible Focusrite Saffire Interfaces as in this guide.

You cannot connect the Saffires with the Project Mix in this way. You may be able to run them on the same firewire bus, but not as one interface.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/
Old 08-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Hey Katherine,

Sorry for the misguiding post. Pro Tools would not recognize both interfaces when I had them plugged into my 3-port firewire card, but it does when I route the ProjectMix (used solely as control surface) through the Pro 40 via the extra firewire port. You are correct though, it does not treat them as one interface.

On that note, do you have any idea as to why that is?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:12 PM

I was actually able to run both my ProjectMix I/O and the Saffire Pro 56 together by buying a second firewire card. By running each on a separate Firewire card, they run just fine. As far as co-existing on the same Firewire bus, ProjectMix I/O has never played well with other devices on the same bus.

jgbsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by THStudios View Post
Hey Katherine,

Sorry for the misguiding post. Pro Tools would not recognize both interfaces when I had them plugged into my 3-port firewire card, but it does when I route the ProjectMix (used solely as control surface) through the Pro 40 via the extra firewire port. You are correct though, it does not treat them as one interface.

On that note, do you have any idea as to why that is?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM

On a Mac, you might be able to setup both as Aggregate, but on a PC, I believe you would need to use the ProjectMix as your PT interface, and connect the LS56 via lightpipe(would show up in PT as the ADAT inputs 9 thru 16). Then you would need to run the LS56 software and route the 8 mic preamps to the lightpipe output.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave