Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2016, 05:08 PM

Default Help digi 003 rack will not work with Protools LE 8.05

Help avid has just stopped supporting digi 003R. I just got a killer deal on a Black Lion Audio Signature Mod. I am running mac osx 10.5.8 I installed latest driver and protools will not even start. Reinstalled LE 8 update and software will start but freezes on rewire when booting protools. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Do I need to upgrade os (latest driver 11.0 says Mac osx 10.6 (snow leopard) or higher). If I do that will I need to upgrade the protools aswell? I will do what I need to do to get rack working. Does anyone have a working setup with digi 003 rack what os what protools version

HELP !! LOL

Thanks in advance
Mac Book Pro 2.8ghz core 2 duo 100g internal HD 1T external HD
Old 06-08-2016, 02:57 AM

Default Re: Help digi 003 rack will not work with Protools LE 8.05

Letīs check this step by step.

The best working, most stable and most current set up for the use with an 003R (had myself one back in the days as well) will be OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8
and Pro Tools LE8.0.5.
If you already have an activation code (an official license) for Pro Tools LE8 it will be no problem to download and install the needed versions finally.

At first you will have to buy a disk containing an original OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 to be able to install this version of OSX on your machine. You can get it from
Apple directly
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC...6-snow-leopard
or from Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-M...4AAOSwMNxXT4CR

Please, before you go to install your new system check out if your hard drives will be Pro Tools ready. Means, if they are fast and large enough (100GBs are not
much indeed).
For Pro Tools you want a 7200rpm HDD at the minimum for the OS drive as well as for the 2nd, separate Pro Tools session/audio drive. If you can afford it SSDs
will be even better.
If your Macbook still uses a 5400rpm drive you may replace it with such a one
https://www.amazon.com/Black-500GB-P...ital+black+2.5
or even such a one
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-256GB...+850+Pro+256GB

If your external 1TB HDD is a 5400rpm as well, please, replace it with a 7200rpm HDD too. 5400rpm HDDs are too slow for the use with Pro Tools.
Further you may use external Firewire, USB 3 or Thunderbolt drives only, no USB 2 (again, these are not fast enough either).
Finally make sure you have 4GB memory installed at least, 8GB will be even better (even if itīs a 32bit system only it still does make a noticeable different
in overall performance).

So letīs start the procedure.
1) first of all make a complete clean install of Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 which means to insert the OSX 10.6 disk, wipe your drive completely via disk utility
and install OSX 10.6 on this fresh hard drive.

2) now update OSX Snow Leopard 10.6 to the max which means a fully updated 10.6.8 finally. Install this one as well.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?...S&locale=de_DE

3) then set up all the optimization stuff in your OSX for Pro Tools.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...oting/en349739

4) now go to disk utility and repair disk permissions and restart your computer.

5) you may go there and download Pro Tools 8.0.3 (itīs the full version) and Pro Tools 8.0.5 (the update).
http://secure.digidesign.com/service...rticleId=43353
Install PT 8.0.3 and, without having opened Pro Tools before, the 8.0.5 update.

6) again go to disk utility and repair disk permissions. Then shut down your system completely.

7) while your system is off power, connect your 003R to your computer. Make sure you use a new, good quality Firewire cable/adapter!

8) now turn on your 003R, after that turn on your external drive (if itīs got a power switch) and power on your computer as the last piece in the chain finally.

9) when your system will be up and running, you now can open Pro Tools, insert your LE8 activation code and you will be good to go.

Important! Do not install any extra driver for your 003R on this system because all hardware drivers were included in the PTLE8 installers already! You only
will mess up and confuse your whole system on trying to install any other drivers for it. Itīs not necessary at all.

10) before you go to install any of your 3rd party plugins and VIs, it is highly recommended to run a back up of this basic Pro Tools set up on another external
hard drive. This hard drive doesnīt have to be a particular fast one, so you even may use a 5400rpm and USB 2 drive for this application.
Itīs just very useful to have a clean, well working Pro Tools installation you can get back to in the case any of the 3rd party stuff may cause problems later.

As mentioned previously you also may mind the right order on starting up/powering down your system. Always turn on your 003R first, then your drives, then
your Midi devices and the computer as the last piece of the chain finally. Vice versa on shutting down. This will make sure your audio and Midi drivers always will
be working correctly as it is supposed to.
And, please, be careful to never plug off or plug in your Firewire connection while any of the devices are powered on! This will damage your 003 and your MBP.
Always shut down both before replugging the Firewire cable.

I think I have covered it all finally. Hope it helps.

The best of success to you.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:57 AM

Default Help digi 003 rack will not work with Protools LE 8.05

Yeah 10.6.8 will rock

I have some plugs for sale as well that might benefit you at PT8

Complete prod tool kit...v1
Smack LE
Hybrid 1.6
Digitranslator
BNR LE

MP3 auth also available

Mc DSP audio bundle (all LE plugs)
Analog channel
Compressor bank
Filter bank
ML 4000
Revolver

Pm for details
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 06-08-2016 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:48 AM

thank you guys so much .Will get on this right away thank you for the step by step and optimization steps. as well as the os and hd recomendations have 8 le already just trying to get rack to work use to run mbox 2 thanks again so much and yes i will get with you about plugins thanks again cant think you enough
Old 06-15-2016, 03:25 PM

More help fellows iinstalled OS to snow leopard 10.6.8 restored disc permission did not wipe harddrive first because do not have money to buy one yet. Already had protools 8.0.5 didnot uninstall protools starts to load then gets to rewire and says pprotools le has quit unexpectedly no OS errors do I need to uninstall and reinstall? Have not optimized yet also other drives may still be on machine how do I remove them thanks in advance fellow for all your help
Old 06-15-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity36 View Post
More help fellows iinstalled OS to snow leopard 10.6.8 restored disc permission did not wipe harddrive first because do not have money to buy one yet. Already had protools 8.0.5 didnot uninstall protools starts to load then gets to rewire and says pprotools le has quit unexpectedly no OS errors do I need to uninstall and reinstall? Have not optimized yet also other drives may still be on machine how do I remove them thanks in advance fellow for all your help
Still thinking that you might do a clean install of your whole system like described above. No guarantee but the best chance to get it to work finally.
Even if you cannot afford another faster hard drive you still can wipe=erase the one you have before performing a clean install. You even better do
because there are some drivers etc. left on this drive now which will confuse and corrupt your system additionally. No good idea to try to solve this
issue without doing a complete clean fresh install of your system. However itīs up to you of course finally.
As for your other drives didnīt you write you are using a Macbook Pro? How many drives can be in there? Or do you mean those are connected to
your Macbook externally? Well, you know, this is all kinda confusing indeed.

So once again. Best chance to get your problem solved will be a complete clean install of your whole system following the steps in my prior posting.
Just get rid of all the old stuff on your drive and build a new one from scratch. Thatīs the best advice we can give you finally.

The best of luck and success to you.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:18 PM

Yeah if it's a MBP then boot to the CD drive and use disk utility to reformat the HD.

Then proceed with installation
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:29 PM

You don't necessarily need a new drive. If there is space just shrink the boot partition, and create a new partition and and do a clean install on that partition. Install drivers and apps and plugins (do not try to use system migration assistant for anything except user files), check things work OK and eventually delete the old boot partition. Stop wasting time dithering around the edges if things are not working. OS X is pretty flakey with in-situ upgrades.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:42 PM

I will replace drives and ram in the next couple of weeks black lion rack put a dent in my pocketbook lol. So even with the slow drives I have I can go to disk utility and wipe drive then reinstall and update OS then reinstall and update protools then optimize it should work correctly? Also should I have my FireWire drive attached when doing so? And early I meant to say audio drivers not other hard drives want to get it working before I get drives have a session to record I planned to do it exactly how you stated just didn't because I didn't have the hardware (new drives and ram) do I need to backup current HD before clean install honestly was being a little lazy as well and was trying not to install other applications that would be scribed with a wipe of the HD thank you guys for your continued help and patience all your help is greatly appreciated
Old 06-15-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity36 View Post
I will replace drives and ram in the next couple of weeks black lion rack put a dent in my pocketbook lol. So even with the slow drives I have I can go to disk utility and wipe drive then reinstall and update OS then reinstall and update protools then optimize it should work correctly? Also should I have my FireWire drive attached when doing so? And early I meant to say audio drivers not other hard drives want to get it working before I get drives have a session to record I planned to do it exactly how you stated just didn't because I didn't have the hardware (new drives and ram) do I need to backup current HD before clean install honestly was being a little lazy as well and was trying not to install other applications that would be scribed with a wipe of the HD thank you guys for your continued help and patience all your help is greatly appreciated
What exact drives (make/model/specs and how are they connected to the computer?) do you have and how much free space is on them and what is each one used for today?

Pick the one you wan to be the boot drive for the new install and do what I already suggested.

Doing a destructive new install with no fail back plan is just nuts. Leave the current running system installed and you can boot back into that if things go wrong.