Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2000, 04:10 PM

Default Please change Audio File Creator to ProTools!!!!!

Digidesign-Can you change the "File Creator" resource of Audio files recorded in ProTools?

As we all know, ProTools creates Sound Designer 2 Files. This is cool but the Creator App is still Sound Designer 2. I feel this should be changed to ProTools. Sound Designer 2 is no longer in development....this warrants the change IMO.

It would be useful at times to be able to just double click on an Audio File created in ProTools and launch the ProTools App. Idealy this would launch the ProTools application, create a new session with the required tracks (stereo/mono file opens 2/1 track respectively) and display the audio file waveform (region) in these tracks and group the tracks if stereo interleaved.

All other Audio Apps have their native files set to launch the application that created them. eg Peak creates nearly any audio file format (SD2,AIFF,.WAV etc) but the creator is always Peak-hence double click any of these files created/saved in Peak will open the files up in Peak.

I really do feel this is long over due. Perhaps even Digidesign, you could create a new icon for this new file creator to distinguish it from normal Sound Designer 2 created files.

Regards
TaRGØN
Old 09-11-2000, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Please change Audio File Creator to ProTools!!!!!

Hmmm...is that the reason why all the audio files recorded in ProTools have no icons (blank with the folded ear)?

Or is there any other reason why we've been unable to get the audio files with the little waveform icons.

Have tried rebuilding the desktop, but it's still the same.
Old 09-11-2000, 05:21 AM

With you on this.

A simpler template structure (perhaps a menu to choose from several when choosing a new file) would be nice.
Old 09-11-2000, 06:54 AM
Jim Clark

Samhein,

Although not a real fix, you can use the freeware SDII Icon fixer, so your icons will have the little waveforms on them...I can't remember where I got it, but as it is freeware I will e-mail it to you if you like.
Old 09-11-2000, 06:58 AM

Samhein,

If you want the icon, go to CoolstuffLabs and download iconfixer? it's a free tool that will give the icons that familiar sd2 look, or alternatively just keep an old copy of SD on your drive, you don't even need to authorize it for it to give its icon to your audio files.

As for changing the creator, I'm not sure I want to launch ProTools just to listen to an audio file. An alternative is to use a control panel called DefaultApp. It lets you use any application to open any particular file. So you could have say Peak or SoundApp open your sd2 files when you double click them.

jim
Old 09-11-2000, 09:05 AM

Thanks guys!
Old 09-12-2000, 12:51 AM
Jim Clark

Speaking of handy utilities, Playsound CMM is a contextual menu item which will play all sorts of sound files by control/clicking on them. Very handy, and only $5 shareware!
I used to boot MasterlistCD to audition SDII files ( much quicker then a PT boot) but this is even better. www.macdownload.com
Old 09-12-2000, 09:23 AM

Another quick way to listen to files is to use the Mac's internal audio system, and play them using SoundApp. That way I can playback 16bit mixes while I have a 24bit mix in progress in ProTools. And SoundApp also does conversions, plays mp3s, etc.

Later,
Brian
Hear, Inc
Old 09-12-2000, 03:35 PM

those are all helpful hints; I use playsound personally; but I still think Targon is on the money with his suggestion. how about it, Digi?
at least once a day I accidentally double click or command-O a sound file and then have to wait for SD2 to attempt to launch & tell me it can't find appropriate hardware.
Paul Berolzheimer
[email protected]
(818) 549-0622
Old 09-12-2000, 04:10 PM

The problem is, SD2 files are industry standard audio files, easily read by a variety of sound applications. If you change the file to a "ProTools" file, the files would no longer be compatible with these programs.