Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-05-2020, 03:19 PM

Default Ilok blue blinking of death

Today I had a strange issue. Was mixing some sessions for a few clients and when I closed a session and then opened another session it said the license for revibe couldn’t be found. I restarted my Mac Pro and ProTools wouldn’t even start it said no Ilok authorisation could be found. When I looked at my Ilok the blue light was out so I unplugged and replugged it in. The Ilok blue light flashed a couple of times and then nothing. Searching on here i found out about the freezer trick which then allowed me to transfer my licenses to a spare Ilok I had laying around. This got me worried as I had a session booked in this evening and if I hadn’t got the Ilok up and running I would have had to cancel the session.

I’ve been on the Ilok site to read about ZDT and TLC. To me it seems like peace of mind for $30 a year but I’m just wondering is there any small print clause that will ever stop pace from supply licenses if my Ilok breaks or is stolen in the future ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 01-05-2020, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Ilok blue blinking of death

Everything I know about ZDT (having had to use it):

Always keep a spare iLok around in case needed for these purposes. ZDT gives you a new ilok but usually you can't wait for one to be shipped to you.

The payment for ZDT sticks to the ilok. So if they do replace the ilok licenses, the replacement iLok will need to have ZDT re-bought for it -- the ZDT gets "used" up. So if you bought ZDT in Jan and need to use it in April, you'll need to rebuy for the replacement iLok in April (and that coverage will extend to the following April or to whenever you next have to use ZDT before that date)

If you declare a broken ilok, the broken one needs to be shipped promptly to iLok/Pace. In the US; shipped with tracking and signature required. You get something like a week with temp licenses but you only get permanent licenses once they receive the broken iLok. If you wait and those temp licenses expire, they won't reissue new temp licences; so you'll be stuck with no licenses for awhile. The fact that it has to go back to the US and there isn't multiple depots in other countries is annoying. (Had to do this from the UK and thought for sure there would be an EU location but nope!)

Do turn on Theft protection once you get ZDT. It isn't on automatically and is done from iLok manager. You have to login through iLok manager at least once every 3 months to resync that (that's so ilok knows you still have the key and it hasn't been stolen.) Don't panic if one day your ilok shows up as having no licenses when starting Pro Tools. It probably means the key hasn't been resynced in the last 3 months and you just need to login and do that. When theft protection came around, a friend had that happen and it took a while to realize what had happened. I don't know if it gives you instructions now but before you received no error message other than missing ilok licenses.

I have heard there are some licenses not replaceable through ZDT. I haven't run into them but supposedly iLok will contact the manufacturer for you so they can re-issue licenses. I don't know if those companies have their own "paid insurance."
Old 01-05-2020, 06:47 PM

^^^^^
Top info!

Fine-print:

“ZDT coverage begins after a one-week "cooling off" period. If you have an unexpected emergency and wish coverage to begin immediately, you may elect to pay an US$100 expediency fee. When you initially submit your RMA, you'll be asked about the expediency fee and can choose to accept or decline it.”

“License recovery and replacement may take up to 12 business days in peak periods, such as during extended holiday closures.”

Please see:
https://www.ilok.com/#!zdt-details
Old 01-06-2020, 12:16 AM

Thanks for all the great info guys. $30 seems worth it for peace of mind?

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 01-06-2020, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
If paying for it for all eternity helps you not cancel one session it is more than worth it.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:

The cheapest insurance I've ever purchased. I have ZDT on both of my iLoks and it's worth the $60 US per year.

QAPLA!
Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
The cheapest insurance I've ever purchased. I have ZDT on both of my iLoks and it's worth the $60 US per year.
Yep agree 100% with this Jack!

That $30 has always been a no brainer so asking if it is worth it seems pretty petty if you ask me. No insurance on earth will give you back and everything you have on a stolen ilok or broken ilok no matter how much you pay in insurance a year so software value ~ €25K and up and €30 a year to protect it ??? Well no explanation needed

2 yrs ago one of our ilok2’s lost it’s way and we had temp mic within 2 minutes and all new licenses after a day as we didn’t have to send the ilok to Pace thank Goodness me since they can disappear and then the temps runs out and nothing will run.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-06-2020, 12:55 PM

Just purchased ZDT

Old 01-06-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Just purchased ZDT

Smart move. Remember to activate TLC.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-06-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Smart move. Remember to activate TLC.
... and schedule a license refresh every 90 days