Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 02-03-2014, 06:37 AM

Default Pro Tools 11 can't launch (ilok problem)

Hi.

I installed Pro Tools 11 three weeks ago.
Everything has been working fine, until today..

When launching Pro Tools (with my ilok dongle) I get the icon "Ilok enabled"
and the to boxes "Quit" and "Activate". Why? It´s already activated.
If I press "Activate" and fill in my user ID and password for Ilok account,
It says "you don't have any licenses in you account".

But, when I launch my Ilok maneger it looks ok.

Does anyone no why it just stopped working?

Thanks. /Magnus
Old 02-03-2014, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 can't launch (ilok problem)

Start your Mac while pressing and holding alt + cmd + R + P. Keep these keys pressed for three starts at least. Then, PT will come back. It's a bug, but it's probably because you unplugged your iLok.

Cheers.

Last edited by Glazik; 02-03-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:03 PM

Thanks!! It worked.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:21 PM

ingen orsak, varsågod

Not guaranteed...
Old 02-07-2014, 06:55 AM

Thanks Glazik, will give this a go
Old 02-14-2014, 05:12 AM

i have a similar problem on PC though.. it eventually stopped recognizing my ILOK.. it shows up as unknown device on my PC.. even the Ilok manager does not recognize the ILOK
Old 03-10-2017, 08:11 PM

This just popped up for the second time today, first time had to try a bunch of different restart procedures to fix it, the alt+cmd+R+P didn't work. My fix:

close/quit all programs, uncheck re-open windows on restart, unplug interface & iLok, normal Shut Down, (wait like 20 seconds), normal start-up, plug in interface & iLok once it's completely started up, then pro tools opened no problem.

Seems to me the iLok (and interface to be safe) had to be unplugged before shutdown and after startup completed (plugged it in too early and didn't work), also have no other programs run in between.

What I think caused the bug was having Chrome open with too many tabs, I've never had this problem before today so I'm assuming it was the amount of tabs that messed it up (like over 25, none of which had any audio playing). I'm assuming this because pro tools was just running fine and I went to open chrome back up and when I recovered the tabs I closed before shutdown pro tools crashed and said there was a USB error with the iLok (also I was jumping back and forth between PT and preview and didn't have any problems), when I went to open PT back up I got the iLok error from before.

So now I'm going to try my restart again, if it doesn't work I'll add to this.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidandwrong View Post
This just popped up for the second time today, first time had to try a bunch of different restart procedures to fix it, the alt+cmd+R+P didn't work. My fix:

close/quit all programs, uncheck re-open windows on restart, unplug interface & iLok, normal Shut Down, (wait like 20 seconds), normal start-up, plug in interface & iLok once it's completely started up, then pro tools opened no problem.

Seems to me the iLok (and interface to be safe) had to be unplugged before shutdown and after startup completed (plugged it in too early and didn't work), also have no other programs run in between.

What I think caused the bug was having Chrome open with too many tabs, I've never had this problem before today so I'm assuming it was the amount of tabs that messed it up (like over 25, none of which had any audio playing). I'm assuming this because pro tools was just running fine and I went to open chrome back up and when I recovered the tabs I closed before shutdown pro tools crashed and said there was a USB error with the iLok (also I was jumping back and forth between PT and preview and didn't have any problems), when I went to open PT back up I got the iLok error from before.

So now I'm going to try my restart again, if it doesn't work I'll add to this.
That's an insane amount of tabs to have opened and I have to ask - why that many? It's not all that great to be surfing the net and working in PT at the same time.

Plugging in and unplugging peripherals while the computer is powered up is never a good idea even though things are supposedly hot-swappable. Too much of a chance for something to get wrecked. Leave everything plugged in until powered down completely and have everything plugged in before powering up the computer that way you can be sure the computer will see your interface and iLok. Better yet leave everything plugged in and have all peripherals powered up before starting the computer.

What specific Mac do you have? If it has USB3 ports those are a known issue with iLoks. The usual remedy is to use a powered hub between the iLok and computer. BTW OSX 10.10.x and PT11.3.1 was never a stable combo for me; 10.9.5 has been rock solid.

QAPLA!