Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2012, 12:05 PM

Thumbs up Lets talk about MIDI controller data!

Hello, been having a difficult time assigning MIDI CC's to Instruments and to the Volume sliders in the Pro Tools Mixer.

I am able to assign my MIDI controller knobs via right click to the provided instruments that came with Pro Tools but not on other NON provided instruments and plugins.

How can I assign one of my many MIDI control surfaces to a virtual instrument in Pro Tools?

I currently have these devices hooked up and sending MIDI notes to instruments in Pro Tools...
Axiom 49 (old version), Akai MPK MINI, Vestax VCM-600

How can I assign a MIDI slider from one of my MIDI controllers to the volume sliders on the mixer in Pro Tools?

I have read about creating a JL Cooper or a Mackie HUI device to sort of trick Pro Tools to do such thing by reverse engineering the CC data coming from the MIDI controller but surely there must be another way? This is 2012!

I am also interested in using the scroll knob on my VCM-600 as a transport controller as I have in Ableton and Wavelab. I beleive I can use a MIDI translator to change the incoming MIDI messages to the CC # of my liking... What are your thoughts?

Most of the cool stuff I do with electronic music is using the automation on my Virtual Instruments, how does Pro Tools handle this?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Lets talk about MIDI controller data!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmichaelwenz View Post
Hello, been having a difficult time assigning MIDI CC's to Instruments and to the Volume sliders in the Pro Tools Mixer.

I am able to assign my MIDI controller knobs via right click to the provided instruments that came with Pro Tools but not on other NON provided instruments and plugins.
The 3rd party plugin has to have support for midi learn built in. I know that Kontakt does, but not really sure which other ones do or don't. some have hard coded CC's, in which case you'd need to program your controller to the relevant CCs.

Quote:
How can I assign a MIDI slider from one of my MIDI controllers to the volume sliders on the mixer in Pro Tools?

I have read about creating a JL Cooper or a Mackie HUI device to sort of trick Pro Tools to do such thing by reverse engineering the CC data coming from the MIDI controller but surely there must be another way? This is 2012!
I don't think there's any other way than to emulate a supported controller.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 PM

Thanks John, actually the MIDI instruments completely support MIDI controller data as I have been using the same very popular instruments in Ableton/Cubase etc. Seems quite silly that Pro Tools makes it so difficult....
Old 09-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Hmmm... I'm assuming you're using the same controller to automate the avid plugins, so it's not something related to midi input. You might want to list the names of the plugins you're having trouble with here to see if anyone else that has them can try on their setups.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:56 PM

So it is the ones that are marked VSTW. I am guessing VST wrapped since I am using the FXpansion wrapper. Makes sense. But what is not cool though is it receives MIDI notes why not controller data? Is there a workaround by creating another MIDI track or any other way you are aware of?

How about some descriptions on how to control the Volume sliders on the mixer??? A link...Video... Anything that is current and will get my surfaces to control the Mixer
Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 PM

Wait Rob Papen Blue VSTW allows midi learn by right click...
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 PM

Some allow right click some do not... This is insane that I cannot control Instrument and plugin parameters with MIDI.

Is there a wrapper that can do this out there? WOW LAME

So how about writing plugin automation with a mouse?