Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2002, 05:23 PM

Default digi oo1 rigs

Hello .. obviously im new to these boards ...
I'm going to purchase a digi 001 sometime next month ... I just dont know what my options/requirements for a Mac G4 are.

I will not be recording anything live except for vocalists. My average recording session runs about 18-22 tracks.

I've done some searching in the archives here and have noticed some people say firewire external is the way to go for hardrives .. some say its too slow go scsi ... i read one where a guy had 2 internal ATA drives doing the job for him ...

Will some of you guys/gals post the specs of your mac .. ie.. processor speed ... hard drive speed... harddrive type ... storage capacity ..

I have no idea where to start..

Thanks

The Maze
Old 12-29-2002, 06:49 PM

Default Re: digi oo1 rigs

I'm using an 001 with a dual 1 GHz G4 under OS 9.2.2. I can record up to 8 tracks at a time (maybe more, I haven't tried) and play back 32 tracks of audio with lots of plug-ins and automation (even at the small cache size of 512) using either my internal ATA Barracuda 7200 drives, or to a Barracuda on a SCSI port to a Glyph removable. I don't need to use the "round-robin" disc allocation method. I haven't experienced any problems with this system. I found that Appleshare was causing problems, so I have an extensions setup with everything on except Appleshare when using ProTools. My mac has two internal fans, which is good because the drives really heat up.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:29 PM

Default Re: digi oo1 rigs

Quote:
I have no idea where to start..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just a wacky idea, but how about asking the Digidesign dealer you're intending to buy from ?

Even crazier thought, contact Digidesign directly ?

You'll get all sorts of opinions here, based on fact and fiction. The problem will be discerning between the two.