Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-08-2003, 01:30 PM

Default Auto-Tune 3 - How Is It?

I have never really been energetic about the thought of doing pitch correction, but it seems more and more bands that come through my studio want it done. I saw that the Tom Lee Music store here in Vancouver has Auto-Tune 3 RTAS for $489, and was wondering what everyone here thought about it, and if it is a worthy addition to PT LE.

Leave your input, thanks.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Auto-Tune 3 - How Is It?

Its cool. But check around first you should only have to pay 299.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:02 PM

$299 Canadian?
Old 10-08-2003, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I have never really been energetic about the thought of doing pitch correction, but it seems more and more bands that come through my studio want it done.
Unfortunately most of us must suffer with these talentless nominds who want the technology to make up for their lack of abilities. Personally I'd rather eat mac and cheeze than work with these types, and thus when they ask me to just autotune their sad ass attempt at a vocal, I remind them that before we began I mad eit very clear I will not use autotune. I know I am limiting our client base, but IMHO autotune is just too much public deception. I'ver stated my opinion everytime autotune posts come up, because I feel very stongly about this. I'm even more opposed to it for live performances, and feel the public has a right to know when it's being used.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:45 PM

This attitude that "Autotune can only be used on talentless idiots" has gone a bit too far, I think. Sure, I don't want to sit there "tuning" an entire vocal track to perfection all day (read: polishing a turd) - but c'mon, AT is a TOOL just like anything else.

Right now I'm almost through mixing a VERY talented singer/songwriter project where the vocal performances are GREAT, save for the one or two minor incidents a song where one word flatted out at the end, or she pushed the middle of the chorus sharp. Nobody on this entire board, even given the raw tracks would be able to tell AT helped out on those *very* small fixes.

AT is really easy to use in a transparent manner - which is the ONLY way it should be used. I don't feel I'm making this artist any less credible by helping the pitch here and there. Just like I don't feel bad for using compression and EQ as well. AT gets my vote as a very helpful and well-designed processor that delivers exactly what it says it does.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:16 PM

Amen brother. Can't count how many times I saved a great vocal performance with a little tweak in graphical mode. It's a must have.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:40 PM

Do NOT listen to Any Duc People, who only wear a particular type of sunglasses or would not be caught dead, listening to Classical or....you fill in the insanity....

Autotune allows anyone the Luxury of recording fewer takes and fixing issues related to pitch, without having to record Take after Take after Take.

The People that would Never use this Modern Recording "tool", most likely are recording the old fashioned way, taking 20-100 takes, and many, many hours.

Get Autotune, and study for a day to learn to use Autotunes Excellent Modern technology with Digital Recording.

Even a Superb Vocal, and the Greatest singer could benifit from the convienence of autotune.
Isaiah 40:31
72 Strat with single 2-Blade pickup
PTLE 10.3 LE
2-SSL Alpha Channels - 1 SSL G-Compressor
Apogee Rosetta 200 - Z-Systems Opti-patch
Lexicon MPX-G2 Guitar Processor - .003r
Command 8 - Roland JV1000 + Triton Rack
FOCAL TWIN 3way speakers + JBL Q108MK11 Bottom
2-52 jax MilSpeck Patch Bays
2-22" Apple Cinema Display's
Allen & Heath 16ch Mixr

**Currently = 11-1-12
2 CD's Released-1-2003-2-2012 Worship ROCK
Old 10-08-2003, 03:41 PM

Obviously your not a performer. And everybody no matter what profession has tools that help them acheive a higher level of professionalism.
I don't think there's nothing wrong with using auto tune. It seems as if most your clients are just people off the street with no kind of talent or musical inclination whatsoever, and want you to record their project.
As for everybody else I know auto tune is on every project.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:19 PM

The clients I have had are quite talented, it is just small things like they knowtice a background harmony that is flat in the last second, and we literally dont have the time to go back and re do it, which can sometimes take hours on end to get a last minute perfect take.

Anyone know where to get AT3 online in Canada or locally in Vancouver, BC for cheaper then $489 CAD which is the going price at Tom Lee Music.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:34 PM

OK, no Auto Tune, no punching in and no sitting down because that's cheating... Oh yeah, no multi tracking either, everything has to be recorded live and mixed mono in one pass.