Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Group automation

Is it possible to synchronize automation across groups, or can you only accomplish this sort of thing with VCAs, or by sending them all to an Aux track?
Old 08-02-2018, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Group automation

Yes. There's quite a lot you can achieve with mix groups. Too much to list here. Type "mix groups" in the search field in the pdf manual.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:22 PM

I have the group set to follow the global settings, which include the default settings like "Automation Mode" and "Volume," but when I try to draw automation on one track in the group, it does not seem to affect any of the others.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:13 PM

definitely one of the most powerful features of PT and something no other DAW i know of does as extensively..

The other crazy one is markers.. that i am sure of.. pro tools rules the roost there.. the things you can do.. amazing!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 PM

So, to be clear -- mix groups will mirror automation that you draw on one track onto the others? Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
So, to be clear -- mix groups will mirror automation that you draw on one track onto the others? Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.
Pretty sure you are correct.. As far as I can tell.. even if you arm automation on a two grouped tracks that has all attributes checked in group preferences, it won't arm the parameter on the other..

Automation is definitely not happening automatically here when I do it on one, to the other..
Old 08-02-2018, 10:16 PM

Happens just fine here.
Maybe due to running Ultimate.

You can have grouped tracks follow any automation you write to just one: plugin automation (if same plugin with auto enable on same parameters on same slot), pan, mute, volume, trim, etc. (and of course, changing automation modes)

(And as an aside, before Pro Tools had VCAs, this is how everyone worked. So it's been this way for a long time)
Old 08-02-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I have the group set to follow the global settings, which include the default settings like "Automation Mode" and "Volume," but when I try to draw automation on one track in the group, it does not seem to affect any of the others.
This will work only if the group is not assigned to a VCA. Oddly enough I have never tried this myself till I read your post. If I assigned the group to a VCA only volume, volume trim and mute will work as VCA's don't have pan, inserts or auxes.

If you assign a group to a VCA and if you're trying to adjust automation for the group from an audio track (not the VCA itself) and only that audio track has automation written to it, then you must change your preferences under the setup tab.

Setup>Preferences>Mixing>Automation-check the box for "Standard VCA Logic for Group Attributes.

This will allow the VCA to control volume, volume trim and mutes for the group in addition to allowing the other track(s) in the group to control ALL automatable parameters for the group as a whole.

The purpose of this being able to be bypassed is because some people like to control only volume rides, group mutes or overall level balance from a single fader (VCA) and not overwrite the existing automation on the individual faders (tracks) of the group after the fact. Other times people like to control the group as a whole from one fader (volume and or mute) and at the same time write any type of automation to each individual track and not affect the group as whole...like having the VCA control group levels and mutes but each track having different automation of different types as well as having different fader automation offsets.

Also if you write automaton for the group with a VCA it will only show for the VCA and not the tracks that are following the VCA. If you want the automation on the track(s) instead, you must write it on the track or tracks as a group and the preference you chose will determine if the track will write to the group as a whole or not if the group is assigned to a VCA.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Happens just fine here.
Maybe due to running Ultimate.

You can have grouped tracks follow any automation you write to just one: plugin automation (if same plugin with auto enable on same parameters on same slot), pan, mute, volume, trim, etc. (and of course, changing automation modes)

(And as an aside, before Pro Tools had VCAs, this is how everyone worked. So it's been this way for a long time)
Changing the mix preference to "Standard VCA Logic for Group Attributes" will solve his problem.

I found out about this from a tutorial and it opened up a new world to me for using VCA's and how and when I use group automation. Personally, I leave that preference checked and only change it when I need to control automation from a grouped channel (Like raising the send level for a group from a single aux send that has other channels fed to that aux send that are not part of the group).

Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Is it possible to synchronize automation across groups, or can you only accomplish this sort of thing with VCAs, or by sending them all to an Aux track?
If this is about 2 or more groups and not a single group then assigning the groups to a VCA will allow you to control volume, volume trim, and mutes only from the VCA. If you want some or all of your group(s) to follow a single automation type you could create a new group and assign all the tracks from the groups to the new group and write the new automation but be careful not to overwrite your existing automation.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.