Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 11-04-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Avid Pro Limiter - reset value bug?

I really like the Avid Pro Limiter, but I cannot get the input sample peak or the gain reduction peak values to reset when I click on them. Only DSP-bypassing the plug-in off and on again will reset those readouts. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-04-2020, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Avid Pro Limiter - reset value bug?

Working fine here. A single-click resets all those fields. Are you running these ad DSP? I'm running them native on a HD Native system. PT Ultimate 2020.5 macOS 10.14.6
Old 11-04-2020, 02:28 PM

Works fine for me as well. Pro Tools standard 2020.9.1 on Mojave (10.14.6), so the native plugin. But it would help to explain what you are running on.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-04-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-04-2020, 05:46 PM

Thanks guys. I can't figure it out. Small problem, but inconvenient. I'm running native on a trashcan with macOS 10.14.16, Pro Tools 2020.9.0, and Pro Limiter 19.9.0 (Avid Link says I'm up to date).

When I click on the little white or orange numbers above the input meter, the number shivers for a moment, then returns to its last value. Often while working I'll accidentally send loud stuff through the bus, but then before I bounce, I do want to know how hard I'm hitting the limiter, so I like to reset. I've tried various settings. Now that I'm digging deeper, I see that ALL of my Avid Pro plug-ins don't reset the orange gain value when I click on them. Waves' plugs do. Maybe I need a support ticket. Weird...
Old 11-04-2020, 05:57 PM

Just noticed I was running the plugin 18.10.0.1452 so played with this more with later plugin versions and reread your above post more clearly and I think I might understand what is happening.

I think I'm seeing all you are seeing on 18.10.x and 19.9.x plugin versions. There is clearly a time decay constant clearly being applied to both the Input Sample Peak Hold and Gain Reduction Peak Hold display values and I think that might be confusing what is seen here... I also suspect it's not a sensible behavior for how clearing those limits work. I created a track with loud bursts of noise lasting a few seconds then dropping off many tens of dB and repeating every 10-20 seconds or so. If you click on either of the peak hold numbers just after burst it does not decrease noticeably but if you keep clicking on them they decay away with a ~few to 5 second or so time constant. So if you are clicking on these numbers fast after a peak you could see the behavior described above, and if the bursts to normal signal levels are not as significant this will be harder to notice the decay. Nathaniel it would be great if you could confirm I'm understanding this.

This time constant has nothing to do with the limiter release time or any other settings I can see in the plugin. I'm suspecting the limit numbers have using a moving average or similar and that may be the right thing for being a visible numbers, you don't want numbers jumping around on a display like this... but I suspect the reset behavior is just incorrect. I don't know why anybody would want to factor in past values when you reset, I would base the reset on the current value only (if necessary for display averaging I would assume you cast that value back as if it was static in past time).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-04-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:51 AM

I just checked, and yes, I am using 18.10.0.1452 as well.