Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Do I absolutely positively NEED DV Toolkit to work

is there any other way. when i'll have enough income to legitimize buying it, then great, but until then i can't justify coughing up the doe! SO, can i work with picture in other ways. thanks.
Windows XP, Professional, Ed (2002), SP 2
PT MBox 2 Pro 7.3.3
Old 10-16-2006, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Do I absolutely positively NEED DV Toolkit to work

Healer,

Sure you can work without the Toolkit (or other things which cost money).

Until somebody sends you an OMF file. BTW DigiTranslator and competitors are avail separately. The alternative is for you to bounce (2 tracks at a time probably) out of the video editor.

The other portions are (imho) things you can work around... done many SMPTE-to-mm:ss.xxxx conversions over time myself...

Scott
Old 10-16-2006, 09:17 AM

Same here. I've exported the audio off of FCP 3-4 times (computer running internal sync) taken it to 2 different PT computers (Both running internal sync) reworked the audio, bounced it and took it back to FCP on different computers. Totally synced over 30 minutes. Only thing different was when I used the MixPlus at work and TDM plugs, no latency. Also have used PTLE and this was good too, but I had to resync to picture because of this latency.

Really would like that DVToolkit, but $1295? Already have the 2 plugs they offer with it, plus MPS option. I think they need some kind of pro-rated discount.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:41 AM

At some point you'll feel that you need it and hopefully you'll be making more doe (sic) when that time comes. There are some workarounds, like using a TDM or HD template session which will give you SMPTE timecode in the sub-counter (not very useful) and a nudge value set at one frame (extremely useful). Some type of OMF tool is absolutely necessary as most projects that come from a picture editor will be delivered with an OMF session that has the dialog assembly, temp music, temp FX, etc.

At some point you will need to be able to pull down the audio or conform your session to new picture changes which are both virtually impossible without DV Toolkit.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:12 PM

If you're working on film and television projects, even with very modest budgets, the DV Toolkit 2 bundle is not a lot of cash. I've spent the same amount of cash for one effects processor. God, buy a Digital Betacam recorder for laybacks and it will cost you 100 times that. Post production costs money dude. Digidesign, and other software developers are doing the industry a great service by providing such excellent tools for us professionals. If you are not professional, and want to play around with some sound design for picture, then no; you definitely do not need DV Toolkit 2, or any other serious software bundles IMO.