Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 08-21-2017, 11:34 AM

Default Midi dropout/voice stealing issue in Pro Tools 12.5

Recently upgraded from 11.3.1 to 12.5 and most things are rocking right along. However, a maddening thing is happening with regard to Midi Merge recording on Midi and Instrument tracks. Say I'm programming some drums. I play in a kick-snare pattern for a few bars and quantize it as I wish. Now, time to play/merge in cymbals and hi-hats over said kick-snare pattern. Hitting a midi note that coincides with the pre-recorded kick or snare hits causes those hits to not play at all. Makes it very difficult to add midi to existing midi whether it's drums, piano or whatever else. Midi Merge is selected and no midi is disappearing or being overwritten, it's just not playing back when new midi is being triggered over top while recording. Doesn't matter if you have one midi track or 50 midi tracks in the session or if it's Kontakt, Arturia, Slate, whatever other kind of software instrument one might run. Doing the same thing but on an Instrument track fixes the issue in SOME instances, but there are many times where I have large banks of things open in Kontakt and don't care to have 30+ instances of that running. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Midi dropout/voice stealing issue in Pro Tools 12.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benergy View Post
Recently upgraded from 11.3.1 to 12.5 and most things are rocking right along. However, a maddening thing is happening with regard to Midi Merge recording on Midi and Instrument tracks. Say I'm programming some drums. I play in a kick-snare pattern for a few bars and quantize it as I wish. Now, time to play/merge in cymbals and hi-hats over said kick-snare pattern. Hitting a midi note that coincides with the pre-recorded kick or snare hits causes those hits to not play at all. Makes it very difficult to add midi to existing midi whether it's drums, piano or whatever else. Midi Merge is selected and no midi is disappearing or being overwritten, it's just not playing back when new midi is being triggered over top while recording. Doesn't matter if you have one midi track or 50 midi tracks in the session or if it's Kontakt, Arturia, Slate, whatever other kind of software instrument one might run. Doing the same thing but on an Instrument track fixes the issue in SOME instances, but there are many times where I have large banks of things open in Kontakt and don't care to have 30+ instances of that running. Anyone else having this issue?
so simply, you saying that midi merge is NOT working on your system ?? is this happening in a blank session with One Midi Track ?? just want to make sure i am not reading this wrong as it is a tad confusing .. can you state it a little simpler .. like: from a Fresh Session ..

1) make a midi track
2) record some notes - kick and snare
3) turn on Midi Merge - add some notes - hi-hat
4) result .. for example: no notes were added or ???

it will make it easier for us to Reproduce your issue if it is truly an issue ..

if you wish to send me a session that i can reproduce with simple midi, i am happy to test for you .. PM me ..

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 06-06-2019, 09:49 AM

How's this for slowest response time ever? Eesh. Thanks for replying and here's the simplified version...

1- Create new session
2- Create either instrument track or midi track playing Kontakt inst on an aux
3- Record a pass of midi (with midi merge already on, as I never turn it off).
4- Record a second/overdub pass of midi on same track and previously recorded notes don't play back when you trigger a new note at the same time (as you would to play in a cymbal hit over a kick drum, etc).
5- Playback track and all notes play back fine.

May also DM you as you previously said since this is such a late update to the original post!
Old 07-03-2019, 12:43 AM

still happening here...