Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 AM

Default Eleven Rack Output to Amp buzz

Hey all

I've put this down on a different posting and I didn't get any replies. So, I am making a specific thread just in case there is some feedback:
  • My Eleven Rack is connect via XLR to a mixing desk and is spot on.
  • It is also connect to my 192 Digital I/O via AES and no problems there.
  • But both "Outputs to Amp" are producing a constant buzz that renders the unit unusable for playing live through a guitar amp!!!
It seems like a grounding issue but: I've tried different leads, different guitars, different mains,different guitar/ amp combinations and different premises, before I decided to post this.

Has anybody around here had to face the same problem? If so, what fixed it?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Output to Amp buzz

Have you tried different amps? Is the amp and 11R running off the same power circuit? (Same Ground from the same side of a power panel.) Does the buzzing change if you change Amp Out settings?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:48 PM

Yes. I checked: different amps and different power circuits.

Does the buzzing change if you change Amp Out settings?

Good question but unfortunately the buzz stayed the same.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Perhaps you have some sort of electronic device in the room generating RF that the unbalanced cable coming out of Amp Out is unable to defeat. Try turning everything you can off - powered speakers, monitors, etc. Move your cell phone to the other side of the room.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:13 PM

Hi,

what about the headphone output ?
and
what about the mic in ?

Is the "buzz" something bout 50Hz or a eather a digital clipping?

does the buzz depend from the volume settings in 11rack ?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kroner View Post
Hi,

what about the headphone output ?
and
what about the mic in ?

Is the "buzz" something bout 50Hz or a eather a digital clipping?

does the buzz depend from the volume settings in 11rack ?

No buzz on the headphone output.

I have never-ever used the mic in of the Eleven Rack. But that's an input we are talking about. And bare in mind that the XLR outs and the AES out are absolutely fine. It is just the Out To Amp 1 and Out To Amp 2 that produce the buzz.

The buzz is electrical buzz and definitely not digital clipping. It would have been a good idea to patch an EQ after the outs and see what's the exact frequency but I returned it to the retailer and now I'm waiting to hear back from Avid.

No, the buzz does not depend on the volume settings of the different "Rig".
Old 11-09-2012, 03:20 AM

I totally appreciate everyone's feedback. But I just wanted to say that I am fairly experienced with audio equipment and I am very good with troubleshooting. Plus, the internet is fantastic for any query that might arise.

The intention of this posting is to find out whether - or not - another 11R user has had the same problem with the dedicated outputs to amp.

To sum this up: the 11R I purchased works just fine when connected straight to a mixing desk (via XLR) and digitally via AES. But I want to be able to connect the unit to a guitar amp, utilising the function of bypassing the cabinet of the 11R Rig, and by passing the preamp section of my guitar amp. When I use the Out to Amp, for that reason, there is a buzz coming out of these outputs, from both of them (back and front) and regardless where they are connected to (i.e. if the Out To Amp outs going to a mixing desk, then same buzz is being produced).

Again, if anyone has come across this please do drop me a line.

If anyone is using the Output to Amp with no probs, then do let me know as well. It would be great to know how many users are out there with no issues, and subsequently how "unique" my problem is.

And if you haven't used your Out To Amp ever, then I suggest that you give them a try and let me know how it sounds.

Thanks all
Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonis View Post
No buzz on the headphone output.

I have never-ever used the mic in of the Eleven Rack. But that's an input we are talking about. And bare in mind that the XLR outs and the AES out are absolutely fine. It is just the Out To Amp 1 and Out To Amp 2 that produce the buzz.

The buzz is electrical buzz and definitely not digital clipping. It would have been a good idea to patch an EQ after the outs and see what's the exact frequency but I returned it to the retailer and now I'm waiting to hear back from Avid.

No, the buzz does not depend on the volume settings of the different "Rig".
Sounds like you have grounding issues between the 11R and the amp(s) you're plugged into. Try plugging the AC mains of the 11R and the amps into the same outlet or strip and see what happens. Short of an open ground on the cables you're using to connect the 11R and amp(s) that might be your answer. Use a good quality 1/4 inch to 1/4 inch shielded guitar cable and see what happens.

Also, if you're plugging into a guitar amp and it has an effects loop try plugging the 11R into the loop return - this should bypass the amp's input circuitry. I do that with my Marshall DSL40 amp - 11R output to amp into the effects loop return and both are plugged into the same AC mains outlet. No noise except if I use single coil guitars and/or high gain amp models on the 11R. I also don't have any flourescent lights around or crt screens to give off noise.

QAPLA!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM

See this thread:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...utput+amp+jack

Your situation sounds a bit different. I've seen a few other posts on this "faulty jack" problem, but they all implicate only the front-panel jack.

I've found the Ebetech Hum-X to be invaluable for dealing with ground loops on instrument-level connections. Because the Hum-X is in the power - and not the signal - path, there's no adverse affect on the sound.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM

What make/model amp are you plugging into? And what input are you goign into? (e.g. instrument-in or an FX return? or a power-amp's line-in?).

Does the guitar amp buzz when you use a guitar directly into its instrument input (and/or whatever actual input you are using?)?

How much have you tried gain staging? (turning up the amp out level while turning down the guitar amp's preamp-gain (or FX loop level) and visa versa).

Just in case your Eleven Rack has the front-panel amp-out grounding problem then use the back-panel amp-out 2.

If driving the guitar amp amp loop return is an option you may be better off driving that from the Eleven Rack Main Outs or FX Loop Sends (I suspect your Main Outs are going to FOH and so not available?).

Darryl