Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 PM

Default How to Free up CPU Usage!! - to finish a high track, and plug in count

I am stuck in the middle of finishing a mix!

I am hoping to get some discussion on how to free up - RAM, CPU/RTAS usage, in a project heavy with plug ins and a high track count WITHOUT buying a new computer or PT HD upgrade. My Drive space, and RAM is not stopping me much, BUT mostly RTAS and CPU usage due to high track/plug in count, see below.

Can I print tracks w plug in settings and make originals inactive?

Computer:
2.64 Ghz 8 core
18 GB RAM
2007 MAC PRO
10.6.8 OSX

Project Info!
PT10
58 tracks
LOTS of plug ins
no midi
96kHz sample rate

Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:30 PM

Default Re: How to Free up CPU Usage!! - to finish a high track, and plug in count

Printing the tracks with plug-in settings is one thing. Bouncing down to stems and then disabling the source tracks is another. I would disable one likely candidate at a time because the problem is often something like a convolution reverb.

You could also download the demo or even rent Pro Tools 12 for a month to run your final mixes off in native.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:34 PM

Default Re: How to Free up CPU Usage!! - to finish a high track, and plug in count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
You could also download the demo or even rent Pro Tools 12 for a month to run your final mixes off in native.
Since the OP is on PT10, the change to AAX64 for all plugins would probably be a bad idea. Printing audio from tracks with cpu hog plugins is also my step#1(starting with any and all amp sim plugins as those are notorious cpu hogs). Step 2 would depend on whether you have, say, a bunch of vocal tracks that could be bounced to a stereo "stem"(I did this when I was limited on tracks with LE and had 18 tracks of BGV's)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Thanks Bob,

Quote:
Printing the tracks with plug-in settings is one thing. Bouncing down to stems and then disabling the source tracks is another.
Yes alright!

When you say bounce down to stems and disabling source - This is the same thing as saying in other words - record plug in laden tracks (with plug in settings dialed in and active) to a new track and make the original track inactive so to reduce voice count and plug in data. Is that correct?

for a plug in to not to use up voice count, it has to be inactive not just disabled , correct?
Old 03-27-2015, 01:55 PM

Hi Dave and Thanks a million,

Quote:
Printing audio from tracks with cpu hog plugins is also my step#1(starting with any and all amp sim plugins as those are notorious cpu hogs). Step 2 would depend on whether you have, say, a bunch of vocal tracks that could be bounced to a stereo "stem"(I did this when I was limited on tracks with LE and had 18 tracks of BGV's)
Yes ok, I see, this is what I thought. Sorry, I have been in Logic Pro, seriously, for over a decade and now am heading strong into PT for both recording and mixing now. So I understand PT's layout and logic and have pretty much taught myself but seem to be on track most of the time, but, now I am hitting a couple slight road blocks I never faced (as much) using Logic Pro. Not saying anything...

Quote:
Since the OP is on PT10, the change to AAX64 for all plugins would probably be a bad idea.
can you or Bob elaborate on this option, how would using PT12 native help me?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:03 PM

PT 11 and 12 use way less cpu than 10.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:19 PM

Thanks Bob and Darryl for the clarification!

It would seem like suicide for me to update versions of PT middle way through a serious project. Maybe just over paranoid, BUT, This is a very heavy and valuable project to me and many.

I am definitely getting CPU usage errors when I lower the buffer size to 64, and try to record an Odub! But, not at a higher buffer, say 1024 when mixing. Even though not so much errors when mixing, I still need to get down the data footprint on this project! Hopefully this project can get me a new HD system,
Old 03-27-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
But Pro Tools 11 seems prone to running into CPU errors that many users are seeing, which may be third party plugin bugs in some cases, not in others...
I can only go by my own experience and my friends.