Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 AM

Default Pro Tools 8 stereo recording

Hi,

I'm recording some old DAT tapes into ProTools using an MBox 2.

My set up is an SPDIF from the DAT machine into the MBox, which of course is a stereo input.

I've started recording on a stereo channel in Pro Tools 8 but the problem is the audio files are saving on my hard drive as a separate left & right channel.

Is there any way I can get the audio files to save as 1 stereo track on my hard drive?

Thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8 stereo recording

Pro Tools 9 and older always record separate tracks for stereo signals(PT10 has the option of interleaved). If you select a stereo track in a session and go to the Regions bin(Clips bin for 10 users) and choose Export Regions as Files, you can select to export as an interleaved file. Or you can Bounce to Disk, and select Interleaved(both net the same result, but the Export function is faster). If this doesn't help, tell us exactly why its important(why it matters) and maybe someone will have a better solution

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the reply.

We're a production house who do Radio shows.
In have thousands of shows on DAT tapes going back more than 10 years and i wanted to transfer them all to hard drives.

So i'm recording each tape into pro tools, but i want to avoid any editing or bouncing back as that will take too much time.

I was hoping to just record each tape into Pro Tools 8, and then the audio file which it saves will already be stereo so i don't have to do anything additional once the tape has finished recording.

Because of the quantity of tapes it's already a project that's going to take years to complete.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 PM

In this case, use the Export Regions as Files method and you should be all set.(its the fastest method anyway).

To recap for the curious:
record the DAT to a stereo audio track. Trim if needed. Normalize if you like(with the AudioSuite Normalize plugin). Select the region so its highlighted in the Regions bin, Option-click and select Export Regions as Files, select the sample rate and bit depth, interleaved, pick the destination and let 'er rip. Pretty fast and very simple

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 AM

AMAZING!!! Thank you very much, it worked brilliantly!!