Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2004, 12:57 AM

Default spectrum analyzers/harmonic analysis

What is up everyone? I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction. I'm looking to dive right into research with the goal of devoloping a guitar synth based on physical models of guitars. Basically, I and a team of people i have yet to put together will be researching lots and lots of guitar samples. I need to know what sort of software spectrum analyzers are out there, and what the best route for research purposes would be, as this is quite a mammoth project. Physical modeling and synthesis is a whole new area for me, so any other helpful links/books/info would be awesome.

Old 04-23-2004, 03:55 AM

Default Re: spectrum analyzers/harmonic analysis

A nice cost effective software analyzer package (one of several) is "Mac the Scope". (Now working in OSX) Mac the Scope
I use this with other hardware and software packages for room analysis.

Modeling synthesis, from what I understand is much deeper than re - synthesis of all the acoustic values.

There is a product, FX8000 by 'Sintefex Audio' for sample replication that may be useful. Sintefex

You may also take a look at what Applied Acoustics Systems (Tasman) are doing in Modeling synthesis.
Applied Acoustics Systems

One other interesting analysis company that may be of value is "Sensound"SenSound .
They are now in the third generation of "near-field acoustic holography".

I hope some of this may be useful to your venture.
Good luck.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:54 AM

Default Re: spectrum analyzers/harmonic analysis

Apple showed a new product called Sculpture at NAMM that is based on string models...it is supposed to show up in Logic sometime soon.

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/01/15/nextgen/