Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2000, 09:34 AM

Default Best Way To MultiTrack record?

Here's the setup:

We are recording midi and audio tracks into a 56 I/O PT's rig. I have always found PT's cumbersome when prepping (under the gun) to take multi channel passes. For Instance - why can't we group the "New Playlist" by x amount so we could then be ready to record another pass? (BTW why call it 'playlist' anyway - they are TRACKS) Anyway, What's the best route for multi tracking into PT's?

Is there an easier route than (a) creating x amount of new audio channels that then need assignment (b) removing the last pass from the tracks you want to record onto and later juggling these around?

thanks

s
Old 11-12-2000, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Best Way To MultiTrack record?

S,
Perhaps try creating a template, then after each take the band does, start a whole new session using the template. Then when you think you might have a good one, incorporate some of the tracks from previous passes using Track Transfer.

Just a thought,
Erik
Old 11-12-2000, 07:53 PM

smlworld

We get Playlist Grouping in 5.1 (at last).... In the meanwhile, I record at specific offsets (0 min., 10 min., 20 min, etc.) and then cut and paste between takes for a final master take later.

Rail

------------------
Recording Engineer
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-12-2000, 09:05 PM

I work same as Rail. Make a template for the project you're working on with all the track names and assignments...K, sn, hat, toms...then record the takes into the same session one after another. I use markers for the start of each take so that I can quickly locate them.

If you're working with MIDI, make a template of what is connected to each of your 56 inputs and use that. Then just delete (or hide) the ones you don't use.

Steve
Old 11-13-2000, 09:01 AM

Thanks,

BUT (i ommited a BIG variable) We are tracking for FILM mixing/sweetening so I don't want to lose/change the time stamping as everyything syncs to the film. thus the offset idea is cool I should have mentioned the F (film) word in the initial query. My apologies. SO - the idea of track transfers might be a work around I still have initial jitters with that utility since the early days. (It still appears as a problem solver rather than an everyday utility, maybe i ought to consider it part of the arsenal)

Thus - PT 5.1 may be our only solution. Next time. Thank you for your suggestions.

scott