Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 09-24-2019, 01:17 AM

Default Where is Xpand!2 Virtual Instrument?

Hi community,

I recently installed the free PTF on a Windows 10 laptop and it all works beautifully including the drums sounds I use for MIDI on Xpand! 2 pre-installed without me having to do anything but the laptop is used for loads of stuff so not really dedicated for music production.

I also have a Macbook Air so I deactivated PTF on Windows, uninstalled it and have installed PTF on the Mac instead...but no Xpand! 2 - when I open a template that uses it, I get a message saying the plugin is missing.

- Some knowledgebase articles say it is preinstalled - I haven't got either a .big file or .aaxplugin file for it anywhere
- Some say I have to download it from the marketplace - when I go into the marketplace I cannot find Xpand!2 and the two First AIR bundles are pay only
- Some say there is a link to download it in the My Avid account - no there isn't!

Where do I get Xpand! 2 from??? I am new to Pro Tools so I'm not buying anything yet until I'm sure I can use it for the purposes that I need so I just want the basics to play around with and learn.

If anybody can tell me, please do. Also, if I need to supply any more info.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-26-2019, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Where is Xpand!2 Virtual Instrument?

Nobody?? Not even Avid? Guess I'll try another DAW then...
Old 09-26-2019, 10:48 AM

Please see this KB article about PTF and Xpand2.

Let us know how it goes.

System Details
Old 09-26-2019, 10:51 AM

Hi Junkgear,

When I go into the marketplace I cannot find Xpand!2 and the two First AIR bundles are pay only.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:32 PM

There seems to be conflicting information on Xpand2....
I’ll see if I can get you some help.

System Details
Old 09-26-2019, 06:33 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhed666 View Post
Hi Junkgear,

When I go into the marketplace I cannot find Xpand!2 and the two First AIR bundles are pay only.
Hi Metalhead666,

The Xpand!2 installer is already a part of the Pro Tools DMG file installer and should be installed along with the DAW. Please try re-downloading and re-installing from your Avid Account and see if the same issue occurs.

Thank you!
Tope
Old 10-06-2019, 11:40 AM

I give up. I've wiped the laptop twice, reinstalled PTF and it still isn't there. So I bootcamped it and installed Windows 10 (which I didn't want to do) and when I install PTF, XPand!2 is there!

Not the ideal solution and it shouldn't be this difficult, free or not, with so much conflicting information and none of it clear. But at least I'm working now!
Old 01-23-2020, 06:55 PM

this is a royal PITA

xpand2 is missing from my paid standard pro tools for some stupid reason all of a sudden after updates etc

..., now PT session wont open saying xpand is missing , now im going through this nightmare on my mac via being forced into downloading this protools first BS- just in an effort to locate the frikken installer

avid .., we always had expand so why take it away and force us to go through this BS .., just give us a link for it god damn it!, it should be included in the air pack anyway
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 01-24-2020, 07:43 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafoam_Green View Post
this is a royal PITA

xpand2 is missing from my paid standard pro tools for some stupid reason all of a sudden after updates etc

..., now PT session wont open saying xpand is missing , now im going through this nightmare on my mac via being forced into downloading this protools first BS- just in an effort to locate the frikken installer

avid .., we always had expand so why take it away and force us to go through this BS .., just give us a link for it god damn it!, it should be included in the air pack anyway

Hi,

The Xpand!2 installer is already part of the Pro Tools installer file.
You can try reinstalling your Pro Tools and see if Xpand!2 still does not appear. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Tope
Old 02-12-2020, 02:24 PM

I am very new here. I have had problems trying to get plugins for Focusrite creation Pack. I uninstalled PTF v 2019.6 so I could use the older Avid application manager to download per instructions from Focusrite support. Apparently they don't know app manager is now part of Avid Link.

Anyways after uninstalling PTF 2019.6 and Avid Link I was able to load app manager 2018.10 and it was showing PTF 2018.7 as my version so I tried installing that to see if it would help with downloading Focusrite creation pak plugins. (It didn't). First I uninstalled just the program. That didn't help so I uninstalled everything (both radio buttons in install/uninstall).
I have been having same problem with xpand!2 since. Every template that had it said it's missing : do you want to download from marketplace. (Yes) which never worked. So I was back to 2019.6 but still no xpand!2 which was previously working and still no Focusrite plugins.

If you unzip the 2019.6 or 2019.5 installer you will find a folder ISSetupPrerequisites which has Xpand!2 and setup. I ran that and now Xpand!2 is back. Hope this helps.
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166