Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-04-2012, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Motherboard compatibility...New computer being built

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiltrator View Post
Mr. Blissful world:

And how bad was the processor selection and video card issues?

So far I have been thinking Asus P8P67, but now I see other suggestions. Some guy tried this motherboard in another thread - its socket 1155 and he tried with 1155 and had issues.

Others are on 1366 socket, some have issues some dont. Therefore I dont know what to do. There is no 100% percent confirmation on what the most ideal possible system will be.

See, I told you this was a nightmare.

(I am not going AMD).
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 AM

Infiltrator: you are the perfect candidate for a professional DAW builder because you are psychologically and technically unprepared to roll your own.

That sounds like a negative comment, but it isn't. It's your reality. Why torture yourself?

It would be like me doing an engine rebuild on my car. It would be a disaster.

All you see is nightmare and disaster.

So hire someone who does this all day long, and you'll still save a lot of money over a Mac.

To answer your specific last questions, cpu selection (i2500k) was a breeze after I spoke to someone who's been configuring PT Win Native boxes forever because he made the convincing case PT is not going to use all the CPU horsepower anyway; and even if it did, I'm not going to use it all cause I don't do my final mixes, so I don't need to win the Dverb test competition.

Video card selection was also easy, once way-too-much research showed there is not only not a problem using ATI cards, they may run better. I did lose a lot of time sweating the Avid video card recommendations from 2009. I'd say follow the Avid PC optimization recommendations, which are recent, and ignore the obsolete hardware recommendations.

But, really, hire someone to build it for you and just make some music. You'll be a lot happier. Notice I didn't say how easy the whole build was. It wasn't, and I have lots of experience. It is challenging to build a PT Win Native box, but it is definitely doable, if you have the right attitude, which you don't.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 AM

There is nothing Wrong with AMD over Intel these days, or vice versa. I was Running Pro Tools 9 on my last build running an intel chipset. When I switched to 10, rebuilt my PC using AMD to save money, got a 6-core AMD processor, and runs great. Is the top of the line Intel better in performence? Yes, but the top of the line AMD is just barely underneath and saves you a little money. Can't even notice the difference.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireidt View Post
There is nothing Wrong with AMD over Intel these days, or vice versa. I was Running Pro Tools 9 on my last build running an intel chipset. When I switched to 10, rebuilt my PC using AMD to save money, got a 6-core AMD processor, and runs great. Is the top of the line Intel better in performence? Yes, but the top of the line AMD is just barely underneath and saves you a little money. Can't even notice the difference.
I can think of something wrong with AMD over Intel these days: AMD is not supported. And that's not "nothing."

Granted, I myself am running an unsupported video card. And video card is certainly an important PT consideration. But CPU choice is another matter. There's a history of plenty of guys successfully running ATI cards, built up over the last few years. The history of guys running AMD processors is far less established, and what has been established tells us that you are one lucky guy to be running a stable rig.

While I'm into saving money as much as the next guy, running an unsupported processor wouldn't be my idea of the best possible place to scrimp and save. But I don't know everything.

Congratulations on bucking the odds and running stable on AMD. That's great for you, but if you're going to give system advice, it's generally a good practice to advise people to stack the odds in their favor.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:44 PM

Update, I am going with a i7-3930k and a asus p9x79 WS motherboard as suggested and tested from other people on this forum (thank you).

Only problem is there is hardly any availability on the i7-3930k right now since they did a revision to the processor. On top of that the asus p9x79 WS is pretty hard to come by as well for me. I could order it threw newegg.com, but I get all my stuff from frys because I love dealing with a reseller that has a physical location I can actually visit if there is something wrong with my product.

I am not good with an RMA program for returning products to the manufacturer.

Anyways to those in this thread talking about going with AMD as their processor provider, I would highly recommend following in the footsteps of others from this thread... http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426

I have nothing against AMD, great company, awesome processors (bulldozer, yeah baby!) only problem is there is hardly any support from Avid with AMD products. Then again Avid barely supports anything as it is LOL.

Good luck everyone who's building a DAW during the next couple months, technology is progressing so fast right now, there is so many options for building a DAW it is mind boggling!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
that's a great system. AMD/ATI is great bang for the buck. I wonder why you picked such a beefy video card? You can go with something like this so you can save a lot of money and keep the fan noise to a minimum.
I agree but I use my PC for other applications as well and I need a GPU that shreds... It's very quiet for me plus I use a Thermalright Venomous X - RT 120mm CPU Cooler, It's very quiet as well.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtheproducer View Post
I could order it threw newegg.com, but I get all my stuff from frys because I love dealing with a reseller that has a physical location I can actually visit if there is something wrong with my product.
Newegg.com does will call @
9997 Rose Hills Road
Whittier, CA. 90601

Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Dont buy a AMD FX 8150 ... i did it and when i start pro tools 10 it ends up with a Blue screen of the death ... any of you have it and are able to make pro tools 10 run ??? cause i think i just threw 669$ in the garbage (pro tools 10 crossgrade+ilok+tax ) or does any of you have been able to be refund ? ...
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11 AM

You could also look at it like you threw $300 in the garbage for the AMD processor and the mobo. That's better than $699.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:06 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500222

this a good candidate for a GPU that works with pt10?