Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Zero Crossing?

Quote:
I have a question on how you would implement this feature.
I think it now would be possible to implement "snap to zero crossing" for stereo and 5.1 tracks in one of two ways :

a) Zero crossing priority for left channel with a preference as to whether subsequent channels zero crossings are selected on the next nearest or previous nearest available crossing.

b) When the edit is performed, a region group is auto-created containing all channels. The visible boundaries of the region group conform to the left (priority) channel.

c) Trimming the edges of the region group in or out (according to the priority channel) will auto-render the subsequent channels according to the preference mentioned in a).

or 2.

Instead of creating a region group, the region is automatically given a set of invisible handles that contain fades for all subsequent channels (this way the regions all conform to the same visual boundaries).

Any good?
Old 04-27-2008, 04:13 PM

I use Logic, Wavelab, and Cubase at times... I find the snap to zero-crossing feature quite useful. I'm surprised PT hasn't implemented it yet.

With stereo files, detecting one side is no problem most of the time. The side which is not cut exactly at the zero is usually so low in volume that you wouldn't hear a click anyway.

I can't remember an instance where I used snap to zero-crossing on a stereo file and DID hear a click.

After that, it's up to the user to be aware of how the feature works and use it responsibly. So...if you're going to do a bunch of edits on stereo files and NOT listen to your work...well, then you're probably better off with fades.

I would recommend a simple implementation of the feature, like the other DAW's have.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Zero crossing is really a basic feature...
Hmmm. . . I'd say more like a basically not required feature. Auto-region cross fade works fine and I have never detected an audible glitch from that approach, and snap to zero has many-many complications for multi track edits. Sure I can hear edits in many cases, but for very different reasons. . .

Why are you asking for this approach? Are you an LE customer?