Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I was surprised how few aren’t 64bit
It isn't the whole truth. Even if the app you are using is 64bit (which is reported) it may rely on some frameworks that are 32bit, such as QuickTime.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonopolis View Post
Fwiw, you don't need that 3rd party app. About this mac > system report > applications and/or legacy software gives the same info. And yeah, it's the video engine/quicktime part.

Oh well. Guess I'm married to Mojave.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It isn't the whole truth. Even if the app you are using is 64bit (which is reported) it may rely on some frameworks that are 32bit, such as QuickTime.
ProTools, for example.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
ProTools, for example.

That isn't really true though - Quicktime 7 is a legacy application with support for legacy 32-bit wrappers and codecs. The Avid Video Engine is a different thing. AVE has been 64-bit since Pro Tools 11. It natively supports the 64-bit DNxHD codec that Avid have been maintaining. Removing Quicktime 7 from the picture doesn't change that native support. DaVinci Resolve is in exactly the same boat. They maintain their own 64-bit codec for Cineform, and Resolve supports it natively so Apple's announcement means nothing to them in the grand scheme of things.

You only need QT7 if you are using legacy 32-bit codecs. If you don't use a legacy codecs... you don't need Quicktime 7.
If anything, removing QT7 will probably make the AVE far more stable!

Capisci?

Avid addressed this back in December.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Apple-platform
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:14 PM

Capiamo

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-15-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
That isn't really true though - Quicktime 7 is a legacy application with support for legacy 32-bit wrappers and codecs. The Avid Video Engine is a different thing. AVE has been 64-bit since Pro Tools 11. It natively supports the 64-bit DNxHD codec that Avid have been maintaining. Removing Quicktime 7 from the picture doesn't change that native support. DaVinci Resolve is in exactly the same boat. They maintain their own 64-bit codec for Cineform, and Resolve supports it natively so Apple's announcement means nothing to them in the grand scheme of things.

You only need QT7 if you are using legacy 32-bit codecs. If you don't use a legacy codecs... you don't need Quicktime 7.
If anything, removing QT7 will probably make the AVE far more stable!

Capisci?

Avid addressed this back in December.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...Apple-platform
I may have missed that from the PT Experts post but it seemed to me that the Avid video engine itself contained components which were 32-bit. Maybe they're referring directly to QT7, but if I'm not mistaken QT7 isn't included with modern iterations of the OS (Mavericks) yet PT still fails the 64-bit app test as is evident by the occasional "ProTools isn't a 32-bit app, etc." message.

Regarding QT7, it is necessary for some of us who use it to paste new audio back into an existing video file. Oddly enough, there is no other app which does so as elegantly (I started a thread about the topic here and there were no answers for simple solutions). And as it's something we do every single day, losing QT7, at least right now, isn't much of an option.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
And as it's something we do every single day, losing QT7, at least right now, isn't much of an option.
Luckily it doesn't cost a fortune to support a dedicated machine for QT7 in case everything else need to progress -- that is, if this is really essential to workflow, doesn't necessarily need to happen on same computer (even a displayless mac mini hidden somewhere will do via screen sharing).
Old 09-15-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I may have missed that from the PT Experts post but it seemed to me that the Avid video engine itself contained components which were 32-bit. Maybe they're referring directly to QT7, but if I'm not mistaken QT7 isn't included with modern iterations of the OS (Mavericks) yet PT still fails the 64-bit app test as is evident by the occasional "ProTools isn't a 32-bit app, etc." message.

Regarding QT7, it is necessary for some of us who use it to paste new audio back into an existing video file. Oddly enough, there is no other app which does so as elegantly (I started a thread about the topic here and there were no answers for simple solutions). And as it's something we do every single day, losing QT7, at least right now, isn't much of an option.
It isn't worth stressing about that this point in the game. Many applications have already crossed paths with Quicktime removal - Adobe got rid of it entirely when Apple discontinued support for QT in windows. Quicktime 7 is nothing but a convenient (yet incredibly old) vessel for older codecs. Apple in no way is preventing those old codecs from making it into newer software under 10.15. FFmpeg for example is an alternative to the QTkit that Apple is removing from 10.15.

If anything, it is FCPX users who will probably have the greatest issues.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
If anything, it is FCPX users who will probably have the greatest issues.
Can you tell me more why you think Apple would shoot themselves in the foot?
Old 09-15-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Quicktime 7 is nothing but a convenient (yet incredibly old) vessel for older codecs.
No doubt, but it's not about QT7 as much as it is QT7 *Pro*. It's those Pro features which allow certain (and unique) editing conveniences which QT10 lacks (because they never released a Pro version). If Apple releases QT10 Pro, or QT11 -- whatever -- everything would be fantastic.