Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2012, 05:36 AM

Default HD|N and system sounds...

OK.. I'm going to get shot for this... but I've searched.. no, really... I have! I must not be stringing the right words together because I cannot find an answer..

I've moved my HD|N card from my Mac Pro to my PC for a bit and it works fine.. However, I also want it to play system sound, iTunes, etc... and cannot figur it out for the live of me.. On the M/P I had a core audio manager that would handle everything. Years back I used to use ASIO4ALL and that worked.. but then I went to M/P and then to PT10.. I tried installing ASIO4ALL again but it will not work.

When I open the control panel and look at the soundcards, it lists a Digital Audio (S/PDIF).. I've selected that but it doesn't work. On the mac it used to show as HD Native. When I check device manager it shows HD Native under sound devices.

Will someone lend a former Hobo a hand and tell me what I'm missing?
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:49 AM

Default Re: HD|N and system sounds...

I think most of us hobos have gone down this path!!!

I have not put any time into it, just saw it wasn't an option in the sound defices and moved on. using the onboard audio and have it plugged into my central station so it's just a push of a button has been my resolve. Which interface you using?

I would guess the spidf listing in your sound devices is the spidf on your motherboard.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-28-2012, 04:47 PM

If you don't have a central station or big knob or somethng of the sort, but you have an OMNI, you will need to plug the output of your on-board soundcard into an input on the Omni. I use the SPDIF.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
saw it wasn't an option in the sound defices and moved on.
Yep, hasn't been an option since day one, boy we're lucky we have an ASIO driver option for HDN, wasn't 'til PT 10 we got that, though still doesn't work well with most third party applications.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:39 AM

Not a biggie.. I just put the card back into the M/P and brought the whole thing upstairs...

Things go better with Mac (Pro)

Steve, I'm using an 8x8x8 with a central station.. I thought about using the onboard sound digital out to the C/S but thought that was a stupid thing to have to do with the HD|N in the comp.. it works so well in the Mac it never crossed my mind that there would be nothing for Win.. go figure.

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Not a biggie.. I just put the card back into the M/P and brought the whole thing upstairs...

Things go better with Mac (Pro)

Steve, I'm using an 8x8x8 with a central station.. I thought about using the onboard sound digital out to the C/S but thought that was a stupid thing to have to do with the HD|N in the comp.. it works so well in the Mac it never crossed my mind that there would be nothing for Win.. go figure.
Judging by all the issues in the Mac forum since the last OS update, I am more than happy in windows land, still!!!!!! But it has been flawless for me. I am actually impressed how well it does run!! I have beat the crap out of it mixing and I have not brought 10.3.2 down yet!

Was not sure if it would work or not w system sounds, just been to busy to try. I ran the spidf out of my motherboard to the cs and never really gave it a second thought till your post. Sure the update will arrive at some point....

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM

Hmm... I hadn't seen the issues.. Then again, I haven't been around much either. I'm not doing much these days other than a bit of voice-over stuff... actually put everything up for sale.. not pressing so I'm in no hurry and who knows.

I installed 10.3.2 last night and it's worked fine so far. Maybe I'll load up an old session and push it a bit and see. I've been extremely happy with PT10 on the M/P.

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Hey Guys, since 10.3, I've been receiving the 7100 errors(similar to the Mac guys) and I've never seen them before.. Ever... 10.2 was pretty good for me..

I'm on an HP z600 dual quad core 2.93ghz with 24gb ram 128 gb HD system drive..(just as an fyi.. not necessarily looking for support here.)

Did you guys run the installer, or uninstall the old then install the 10.3.2 version. Just curious.
1GB Samsung 840 EVO Sample Library HD|
PTHD 10.3.6 & 11.1.3|HD Native Core|Lynx Aurora 16 HD|Dangerous Monitor ST|
UAD2 Octo Core Card
Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboriginal View Post
Hey Guys, since 10.3, I've been receiving the 7100 errors(similar to the Mac guys) and I've never seen them before.. Ever... 10.2 was pretty good for me..

I'm on an HP z600 dual quad core 2.93ghz with 24gb ram 128 gb HD system drive..(just as an fyi.. not necessarily looking for support here.)

Did you guys run the installer, or uninstall the old then install the 10.3.2 version. Just curious.
I always do a fresh windows install. I have a partition setup w the necessary programs and such I need as well as plugins installed. I then just use Casper to copy this drive to another partition, install PT and go. But I would at least uninstall PT, make sure all folders but my plugins are gone, clean up my registry, then install the new version. Updating always seems to fickle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
I always do a fresh windows install. I have a partition setup w the necessary programs and such I need as well as plugins installed. I then just use Casper to copy this drive to another partition, install PT and go. But I would at least uninstall PT, make sure all folders but my plugins are gone, clean up my registry, then install the new version. Updating always seems to fickle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

Thanks guitardom!
1GB Samsung 840 EVO Sample Library HD|
PTHD 10.3.6 & 11.1.3|HD Native Core|Lynx Aurora 16 HD|Dangerous Monitor ST|
UAD2 Octo Core Card