Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2017, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
I just watched Rush in Rio. (Well part of it last night and the rest this morning as it is almost 3 hours long). Per the credits it was filmed during the Vapor Trails tour, copyright 2003. To me, it had too much of a live feel, maybe too much of the audience mics mixed in, which made it harder to hear the instruments clearly. I watched it on my computer with some little JBL Pro speakers, probably would have been worse if I listened using my full size sound system.

Good show, the audience was fired up throughout.
Try it with a decent audio system and then let me know how it sounds. Probably WAY better than those little JBL's.

You watched the dvd right? I know that when snippets from the R30 dvd concert get played on TV and it sounds like they recorded it via a couple of mics in front of the FOH system. Listen to it on dvd and that's not the case but the usual excellent clear audio from one of their concerts. I do know their concert audio levels are way high on average with little to no dynamic range. My home audio system is a 2 channel Yamaha receiver that gets the audio directly from my dvd player and fed through a pair of ancient Klipsch Chorus speakers (3 way with a 15 inch woofer) and it always sounds good.

QAPLA!
Old 05-20-2017, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Where Have All the Melodies Gone?

Yes, watched from DVD files, ripped into my computer. I hooked the audio out of my computer to a Sony STR D965 Receiver, connected to my JBL L-110 stereo speakers, and of course it sounded a lot better than my desktop computer speakers. But, the audience levels were still quite high. You can hear them singing along, and cheering during guitar solos. I thought maybe they had the audience level higher at the beginning for effect, so I skipped to the middle and it was still the same. It wasn't the type of thing where they boosted the audience level when the video showed the audience, it was pretty constant.

For a comparison, I pulled up R30, and without changing any settings played a song from that video, and the audience level was considerably lower. So on Rush in Rio it must have been a producer's decision. I don't have a 5.1 or 7.1 system to listen on, and I think I just ripped the stereo audio files off of the DVD, rather than the surround files.

Still a very good concert video, I just prefer the musicians are front and center, not the audience.

Even worse to me is when they boost the level of whichever instrument is currently being shown at the time. I have a Rolling Stones concert dvd where they did that and it was very annoying. (Don't remember which DVD, because I have a bunch of Stone's concert DVDs).

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.