Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2017, 06:23 AM

Default Extender for 8 pin mini din crossover cable

Hello, does anyone know of any extender type product to extend 8 pin mini din? I've looked for a CAT5 type extender but couldn't find any.

My Mac is located about 35 ft away from my SYNC I/O. I realize I can run a cable that length but would rather avoid that direction if possible. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-03-2017, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Extender for 8 pin mini din crossover cable

If nothing else helps, you can cut the cable and fit it with DE-9 connectors. Then you can find extender cable of any length you can think of.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If nothing else helps, you can cut the cable and fit it with DE-9 connectors. Then you can find extender cable of any length you can think of.

Thanks! I think I'll try this route. I know I need at least on 8 pin mini din crossover cable. I wonder if anyone makes a 8 pin mini din to db9 crossover cable/adapter?

Old 04-05-2017, 03:55 AM

This should be easy task for anyone near you that has a clue about electronics and making cables.

Before you cut the wire, you remove an inch of the outer plastic to reveal the wires inside. Then you mark the wires on both sides and cut fromthe middle. Once everything is cut, you just solder the marked wires to DE9 pins 1-8 and repeat on the another end, making sure your male/female connectors connect 1-wire to 1-wire, 2-wire to 2-wire, and so on. Then you connect the DE9 plugs and test the cable.

Once it works just like before the cut, you only need a standard DE9 serial cable of your desired length in the middle.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:44 AM

I just realized something important. I don't believe these extenders are bi-directional. I don't think it would work this way

Old 04-05-2017, 09:54 PM

It's 8-pin serial cable. If you connect all pins, its just as good as a shorter cable, at least as long as the combined cable length isn't too much...