How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2022, 06:07 AM

Default Keyboard Still Not Working

Hey All.

It's been over a year, and I still can not get my keyboard back to working. It was working in the past, and all of a sudden stopped. Tried every you tube vid, and what works for them is not working for me.

As a test, I downloaded Reason, and it works in there with no adjustments.

Connection:
My connection has not changed: I'm going straight into my Tower via Usb. I have an Interface, but only my Monitors are running through that.

Operations:
1. I have had to power the keyboard on first, then load PT for it to work.

2. I've always used an Instrument Track, and never had to arm the track to record as some people have suggested to get a sound. Once I load the plug-in, I would get sounds.

3. I have 5 pics attached to show the various set up options. Maybe some setting was changed that I didn't realize.

4. I do notice something with 2 of te 5 pics I have attached: Midi Studio Set-up Ports Not Set, and Midi Studio Set-up Ports Set.

When I set the Input and Output ports to my Keyboard, I still get nothing- Midi Studio Set-up Ports Set

When I power down and come back in, the ports are not set as shown in the Midi Studio Set-up Ports Not Set pic. Shouldn't they be saved? Any other adjustments inside here are saved.
I'm thinking powering down would somehow help recognize it as to my earlier point, in the past, I have had to power the keyboard first then power PT for it be recognized.

4. I have also tried several plugins, and still nothing. However the Keyboard works with those plugins when they are loaded in standalone.

Appreciate any help trying to figure this out.

Specs:
Windows 10
PT 11.3.1
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Preferences .pdf (177.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Midi Studio Set-up, Ports Set.pdf (194.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Midi Studio Set-up, Ports not set.pdf (194.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Midi Input.pdf (188.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Timeline.pdf (177.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-19-2022, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Keyboard Still Not Working.

Since I am On Mac not sure how much help I will be.

But yes on my Mac system with "First selected MIDI track" for "Default Thru Instrument " then all I have to do is highlight the instrument track and it triggers the VI sounds from my Keyboard.

That said I notice you have QL Space as your Virtual Instrument, but that is a Reverb not a midi instrument ?????????

If you are still not getting sounds with something like Mini Grand then it could be a routing issue or maybe even a bad USB cable from Keyboard to computer I have to jiggle my USB connection sometimes on my Keyboard to get to it work which is either a loose USB jack on the keyboard or bad USB cable end

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-19-2022, 02:00 PM

Appreciate you stepping in K Roche.

PLAY is the instrument with QL Spaces as the Reverb, and I've have been using this setup for the last 3 years on every track I have done exept when I decide to route the Verb to an Aux.

First thing I tried was swapping out cables. Also, I downloaded Reason to try, and the Keyboard works there, and I had to do no adjustments.
Old 02-19-2022, 06:36 PM

Just downloaded a Trial Run of Cakewalk Sonar, and it works in there. I had to make no adjustments of settings. Same with Reason.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:32 AM

Ah I see I did not know what "Play AAX" was

I am at a loss because as I said my Keyboard works fine and as expected. I highlight the instrument track and the VI on that track is triggered by my keyboard and produces sound

Can you tell if are you getting signal into the VI GUI ? If signal in the VI is there no signal on the Instrument track meters ? Or getting signal showing in instrument track meters, but no sound coming out the main outs ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 02-20-2022, 09:02 AM

Two things that get you sometime are the device hasn't been enabled in MIDI Input Devices and the MIDI Input Filter somehow got changed from All or All Except to ONLY. You can also try deleting this file : "C:\Users\youruserID\AppData\Roaming\Avid\Pro Tools\DefaultProToolsMIDISetup.dms"
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-20-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-23-2022, 06:05 PM

So I loaded up a version of PT 10, and it works in there. I matched all of the settings to 11, and still getting nothing. No signal on the tracks.

What I do notice though, is that inside the Play Engine in 11, only ASIO comes up, and not my interface which is a Fast Track Duo. In 10 they both are listed. However I have my monitors running through the interface, and they work in both 10 and 11.

Also all of the pics I posted with the settings that were recommended from youtube are irrelevant, because I am not going through an interface, rather striaght in via USB. Evidence of this is in 10, from the jump I never touched any of those settings such as Midi Set-up, or any in Preferences. ChuckS, yes the only one that pertains is the Midi Input Devices, Keyboard has to be listed and checked.

The help from both of you is greatly appraciated. I'm good for now as I've moved over to Cakewalk Sonar with a trial for 30 Days.

Still welcome amy mopre ideas.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:05 AM

Since it works in 10, but not 11 that might suggest that there is a driver issue with PT - 32 vs 64 bit. Just speculating . . .
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 02-25-2022, 05:52 PM

Okay, I'll check up on the drivers.