Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2016, 05:25 PM

Default Did the latest EU control(3.4) completely nerf Mackie/HUI?

Just installed Eucontrol 3.4 to use with an MC Mix and was attempting to get mackie control working with a few different apps (Ableton, Studio One, Cubase) on Mac OS 10.10.5.

So far I have tried:
Resetting Eucon Prefs manually.
Resetting Eucon Midi Driver.
Trying all Mackie Control/Classic/XT options.
Plugging ethernet in directly and through a router.

While I won't get my hopes up that this will be fixed...has anyone successfully gotten Mackie Control/HUI to work with the latest Eucontrol? It works as expected with Pro Tools and Logic but not with any other apps it seems.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Did the latest EU control(3.4) completely nerf Mackie/HUI?

Alright,

So for some reason my artist control and artist mix started "working" with Ableton today.

So far it seems that most of the functions work (fixed - minus aux channel changing).

The biggest issue I have is the banking. If I have more than 32 tracks in the session, I can bank left and right and move the faders however many tracks are above 32. Anything below that there is no banking or nudging so unless I assign a fader to only be on the selected channel. I can only used channels 1-12 in Ableton which is rather annoying since I don't want to have to create a group with 32+ audio channels just so I can scroll around.

This is the video with the settings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-dxS4iL1Tg

Does anyone have any pointers? tips? tricks for using the MC/Artist Mix with Ableton Live?

Last edited by qthegaijin; 08-18-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Did the latest EU control(3.4) completely nerf Mackie/HUI?

Success!!! Ableton+Artist Control/Mix is golden!

Using both the Artist Control and Artist Mix together in MackieControl mode works wonderfully. I went through and remapped all the touch screen soft keys to:

-Work with Mac (default was all the windows commands)
-Icons now mimic the MCU Pro Ableton Overlay
-Have a more logical layout on the Banks page
-Bottom row soft keys have had a few more options added to them
-Make sure Returns and Channel Flip worked correctly

Download XML:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvors0prl6...rSets.zip?dl=0

Place the xml in MacHD/Library/Application Support/Euphonix/UserSets/MC2User/MC_USER_SET__Root

Setup:
Just like the manual says, but only set up 1 instance with Midi 1-4.

Restart Computer. Make sure Eucontrol is running BEFORE turning on the units!

Open up Ableton and set the MIDI prefs like so:

If you have more than 1 Artist/MC Mix, add another MackieControlXT for each unit in slots 3 &4. If you are just using an Artist/MC Control, Only select MackieControl on Slot 1.

Quit Ableton and Select "Restart EUCON Applications" from the Eucontrol top menu icon. Once this has rebooted the Artist Control/Artist Mix should be arranged how you would like them. I have my Mix set as the first device and the Control as the second.

Open up Ableton. The artist control now should switch the screen to show the Ableton track count and softkeys.

Notice how there are 16 audio tracks showing? I actually have 17 there because the way that Eucon handles MackieControl banking it tricks the program into thinking there are 16 physical faders when there are only 12. You can still adjust the volumes of tracks 13-16 with the encoder knobs, but if you want them on a fader you have to make a minimum of 17 channels then Nudge left. This does not happen when using just an MC/Artist Control

Fader Flip, Pans/Sends/Returns all seem to be working when controlled by the touch screen. THEY DO NOT WORK IF YOU TRY TO USE THE MC/ARTIST MIX PHYSICAL BUTTONS!

As well as Plugin control. If the plugin parameters don't appear on the Touchscreen, hit the back button until the first menu appears and Push Inserts. (Topmost left Encoder Knob). To select what plugins are to be used, touch the encoder knobs on the MC Mix and the names will appear below the track name. Use the Arrow buttons on the touch screen to scroll through plugin parameters if more than 16 are available.

Pro Tip: If you want specific parameters to flip to the 12 faders, Hit the CONFIGURE button in the Ableton plugin insert window and rearrange the desired parameters by dragging and dropping them in the order you want.

The few quirks I have found:
Banking/Nudging over 12 faders - Requires more than 16 tracks.
0db in Ableton is +5.8dB on the physical faders.
Shift+Touch to Zero is -2.7db in Ableton
Flip to Fader sometimes peaks .01 to .1 less than the limit but not when using the encoders.

This method also works with a single MC/Artist Control. IT DOES NOT WORK WITH JUST AN MC MIX. That part of the software is borked and who knows when it will be fixed.

I hope this helps some people. I spent the better part of a week pulling my hair out trying to get this to work right, and luckily it wasn't all for not.

Last edited by qthegaijin; 08-20-2016 at 05:49 PM.