Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2015, 10:05 PM

Default Melodyne crashing PT11?

Hey guys, quick question regarding melodyne.

I have a session with maybe twenty audio tracks and not very many plug ins yet. I inserted melodyne on one of the BGV tracks and every time I try to "transfer" the source audio into melodyne, protools crashes. THis happens regardless of where i start playback, even if there's no actual audio being transferred yet.

Any advice for dealing with melodyne at PT? I'm coming from Logic, and it was finicky over there too, but not usually when I was transferring in audio.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2015, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Melodyne crashing PT11?

well, restarting my machine seems to have done the trick....

I have heard some folks like to use melodyne in re-wire? I'm not exactly sure what this is, but does it make things more stable?
Old 04-25-2015, 09:08 AM

Use as plugin.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 04-25-2015, 10:21 AM

I have found that Melodyne can crash Pro Tools on Mac even after it has been removed. I haven't checked in 12 yet, but in 11, if you use Melodyne and then remove it and put a plugin in the same slot Melodyne was in, Pro Tools will reliably crash. I tried reporting this multiple times to Celemony without success.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-26-2015, 08:10 AM

Post Re: Melodyne crashing PT11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
I have found that Melodyne can crash Pro Tools on Mac even after it has been removed. I haven't checked in 12 yet, but in 11, if you use Melodyne and then remove it and put a plugin in the same slot Melodyne was in, Pro Tools will reliably crash. I tried reporting this multiple times to Celemony without success.
This is most likely because Melodyne continued to execute code in a thread, even though the plug-in is no longer instantiated in a session. Native Instruments' plug-ins are notorious for this behavior. The only way to guarantee that a plug-in is not loaded is to not have it present in the plug-ins folder.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 AM

Default Melodyne crashing PT11?

Ah so let's be clear here, by remove do you mean not instantiated or is the plugin file actually removed from the plugin folder and Pro Tools restarted?

If removed from the folder and the history of it being used still seems to cause problems try trashing prefs... or you may have a corrupted session.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Ah so let's be clear here, by remove do you mean not instantiated or is the plugin file actually removed from the plugin folder and Pro Tools restarted?

If removed from the folder and the history of it being used still seems to cause problems try trashing prefs... or you may have a corrupted session.

My observance was when it was de-instantiated and another plugin instantiated in its place.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 04-27-2015, 07:39 AM

Thanks guys... more strange melodyne behavior this morning...

When playing back a session it sounds fine, but when bouncing a session, the track that has melodyne inserted plays back about a bar behind all the other tracks?? Any ideas what's going on?

Realtim/offline yields the same strange delayed melodyne behavior...
Old 04-27-2015, 08:51 AM

Any tempo changes or meter changes *anywhere* in the timeline?

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 04-27-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Breen View Post
Any tempo changes or meter changes *anywhere* in the timeline?
Yeah, there's a quick ritard in after the intro, and also one at the end of the tune as well.

I gather that's the issue? Is there a workaround? Maybe do the transfer into melodyne from the beginning of the tune? Typically I'll transfer only a bar or so before the clip, just to save time in the case when a track doesn't play for the entire tune.

Thanks!