Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2009, 01:58 PM

Default 8.01 Region List Unused Clearing problem

OK, this is something I know has hit others, but until I upgraded to 8.01, I have never seen it personally on my system. Today it hit.

Got a session from an editor. It had a lot of offline regions I needed to clear.

I display all regions first in the region list.

I select 'Select Unused' and clear them. Now select unused again, and it finds more. Do it again, and it finds more. Happened five times. After that, it looks like the region list was cleared.

Double greens.

Save the session, open it again, select unused and it finds MORE regions.

Something appears to be seriously wrong. What am I to do when I need to clear regions and I really need to KNOW that it's successfully cleared the regions?

Anyone else seeing this in 8.x? I thought this was something cleared up post 7.4 days.

Tim
Old 09-04-2009, 02:04 PM

Default Re: 8.01 Region List Unused Clearing problem

you sure you're "Clearing them"?

Shift+Cmd+B and holding option down when clicking "Remove" then Cmd S to save session?

I'm on 8.0.1 over here, with no problems, selecting and clearing.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 09-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Avid

Is it possible this contained region groups that were still used in the session?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:09 AM

I can't say for sure, I'll have to look into the session further, but I don't believe there is any region grouping going on. But I will check.

Is that a possible cause of this behavior?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:00 AM

I get this all the time. No idea where is comes from. I do use region grouping generally but I don't remember a specific case.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:10 AM

this has happened to me often... I thought it had something to do with the last few edits I made, thus being in the undo que or something?

I generally don't use region groups.. although it is possible there were some on the session. .

But why would that behave like that... if its used its used right?
Old 09-06-2009, 05:09 PM

Exactly my point. If it's used, it's used. That is about the most basic simple rule and there is really no reason at all for this bug. This is on opening a session from a clean start, so there is no editing being done, nothing in the clipboard, etc.

If there are groups, the groups must know which regions they need, so there should be no ambiguity there.

The fact that this bug has existed this long is ridiculous really. If I display all, select unused, it should select every single damn region not used on a track, and when I remove them, it should remove them.

Why is this so hard? Why can't digi squash this bug?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:15 AM

This has happened to me many times. And I know I typically use region groups a lot. But not only did it take me several clearings of my selected unused I started seeing another problem that was even weirder that I believe is related.

On one session I had with many tiny edits below sometimes several layers of region groups, I started getting fades and audio offline dialog boxes when trying to open the session, yet nowhere else were there indications of any audio or fades being offline. I would regenerate missing fades, but nothing would happen, not even in the task manager (because there really were no missing fades). I would try to manually relink offline audio, but there was no regions shown as offline in the relink window. Even my session and timeline lights remained green (as opposed to red when there are files offline).

In the same session, I couldn't do a save copy in because I would get an assertion error. Same thing would happen if I created a new session and tried to import the tracks via import session data, assertion error. I don't remember how I was able to save that project exactly, I believe I had to do a save copy in to a different drive and without saving the fade files.

After that nightmare, I began consolidating rather than using region groups and I've been able to delete all unused the very first attempt.

-Justin
Old 09-02-2010, 03:39 AM

Going back a few years I remember this as being a little bug that was quite annoying. It was subsequently fixed and has now re-appeared. I am on an 8.0.4 system, and it's really infuriating when you're trying to get a session ready to export, but have to select unused several times, close and re-open the session and select unused audio regions again in order to get it ready.

Anyone still getting this?......