Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Default Quick-Key for enable/disable SOLO?

Hello again. Anyone know a shortcut to disable solos?
Here's my application: audio post production, Dialogue editing, sometimes soloing a track or two at a time and then just want to 'save time' by not having to (I know...life is hard...) scroll all the way over and unclick the solo button or option-click another solo.

Looking to find a keystroke which gets me rolling at the touch of a button.

Thanks. (if one exists...if not...next revision!)
Old 06-06-2008, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Quick-Key for enable/disable SOLO?

Nope. ICONs have a Clear Solo Button though.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 AM

Option click any solo will clear all
Old 06-07-2008, 09:07 AM

Thanks, but this was a solution I knew about already... (to me, it takes 'too much time' to scroll over and click/option-click a solo button).

Thanks though!
Old 06-07-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
...Anyone know a shortcut to disable solos?...
A Track Solo Shortcut is on the (long) wish list of many PT editors.
Sometime Digidesign will have the wisdom of implementing it...(hope dies last)
Old 06-08-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks, but this was a solution I knew about already... (to me, it takes 'too much time' to scroll over and click/option-click a solo button).
No need to scroll anywhere, just option/click on ANY solo button to clear ALL currently solo'ed tracks/channels. Is this any better for your workflow?
Old 06-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Option click any solo will clear all
Quote:
No need to scroll anywhere, just option/click on ANY solo button to clear ALL currently solo'ed tracks/channels. Is this any better for your workflow?
Is there an echo in here?

A "clear all solos" keyboard shortcut would be a great feature for a lot of us. When I'm on the dub stage, I've many times felt like an idiot because I forgot that I had a track solo'd and my tracks aren't playing. It would be great to be able to hit a quick keyboard shortcut instead of having to grab the mouse and Option+Click one of the little solo buttons.

One thing that I do when I'm flying around quickly soloing tracks is use the numeric keypad in either Shuttle or Transport mode. I like to use the mouse as little as possible for potential repetitive stress injury reasons and I also find the little solo buttons annoying because they slow me down. In Shuttle mode, you can play backwards, forwards, slow, and fast using just the numeric keypad. The beauty is that while using the selector tool, it automatically solos whichever track (or multiple tracks) you have the cursor on.

In Transport mode, it's Cntrl+5 to play one or several tracks solo'd. In Shuttle mode, you hold down 6 (num keypad). Once you get the hang of it, I find this so much faster than using the solo buttons.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:21 AM

Sorry, my 'sarcasm/humour' isn't coming across via typing. What I meant by having to 'scroll' around was---I don't want to move my mouse alllllllll the way over to the left side of the screen to find one teeny solo button icon and click or option-click it.

I'll try the transport thing, but I also see other users have been dying for this feature to appear. I have a few already sent into Digi and this will be one of them. The more the merrier!

someday.....