Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2014, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Delay Comp stuff again

I'm still having a hard time seeing why you are tracking through busses. If control over large groups of tracks is the issue, then why not use groups?

I'll doubt that Avid recommends tracking out of audio tracks and through an additional Auxiliary Input (especially not 2 of them).

This is why. The way Pro Tools works is that Auxiliary Inputs always account for latency unless the delay compensation on the Auxiliary is turned off. Audio tracks on the other hand, compensate for latency when they are NOT record enabled, but then drop any compensation when they are record enabled.

So when you are sending your audio tracks through Auxiliary Inputs, you are adding additional latency because Auxiliary Inputs are compensating for delay compensation. So if you turn off the delay compensation on the Auxiliary track, then you might still have a little added latency, but it should be much better.

When you turn off the record enable button, then the audio track switches to using delay compensation and anything passing through the Auxiliary Bus will not be compensated properly because you have turned it off.

My suggestion would be to change your workflow so that the audio tracks you are recording are routed straight out to your interface. Use groups to control large groups of tracks. Once the tracks are recorded, then switch the outputs of those audio tracks to the Auxiliary Inputs you desire.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 09-11-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsong View Post
Well, I had all my tracks routed to the interface outs yesterday and still had the random latency issues. So, I think the group bus/mix bus thing could further destabilize things but it's definitely not the whole problem.
By the way, I have unfortunately seen this bug for years now. It randomly happens to me. It seems that I see this happen most often when I am importing tracks into my session using Track Presets.

It is a hard bug to document for Avid because it seems to happen at random.

Edit: I usually fix the problem by making the output of the track inactive and then active again.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 AM

This is odd. I have a lot of auxs groupings like short strings, drums, guitars… on and on. I then have 4 aux for stems. Drums, tonal, Strings, etc… The only thing I have on the stem aux is Slate VBCs. They have zero dly. Is this issue only caused when dly inducing plugs are on the aux?

If routing through two aux tracks cause ADC not to work this seems like a bug, no? Seems like something that should work.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
This is odd. I have a lot of auxs groupings like short strings, drums, guitars… on and on. I then have 4 aux for stems. Drums, tonal, Strings, etc… The only thing I have on the stem aux is Slate VBCs. They have zero dly. Is this issue only caused when dly inducing plugs are on the aux?

If routing through two aux tracks cause ADC not to work this seems like a bug, no? Seems like something that should work.
I don't see this as a bug. I could be proven wrong, but tracking should never be done through an Aux.

In the scenario you describe, the Aux you are sending things through will be delayed to line up properly with other Auxiliaries that have more latent plug-ins on them. So unless you make the Aux Delay Compensation inactive on that Aux, added latency will be introduced by sending your tracks through the Aux no matter how few plug-ins you have on that Aux.

Of course, after tracking, you should be able to route through as many Aux's as you need to and Delay Compensation Should line it up sample accurate.

Also, when tracking, you should have no plug-ins active on your Master Fader as Delay Compensation does not adjust for any added latency from plug-ins on the Master Fader. During mixing, it does.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 AM

Oh. I missed the focus on tracking. All this is when an audio track is record enabled. I see.

I do put my Guitar Rig on an aux that gets routed to audio tracks then routed to a guitar group aux then to the Tonal group Aux.

I never work with anything on the master fader.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Well…see above where I said I was having this bug happen a couple days ago while every track in my session was routed directly to the interface outputs.

But, also, there's various reasons why routing through aux's are desirable. Headphone mixes... Realizing the need to track additionally or re-track something after a song is partly mixed and not wanting to completely mess up the routing... Needing to keep a fast workflow in turning in demos/tracks (and thus trying to avoid spending time re-assigning outputs, etc, on every song)… Building sounds with plugins that involve multiple busses of effects and wanting to play a part with those intact...

I can understand why latency inducing plugins on busses would make some of these scenarios impossible. Apart from that, though, I don't get why it isn't part of what ADC does.

And then there's the random works/doesn't work aspect of some of this which makes getting a reign on it next to impossible.