How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Plugin Alliance insanity

I ended up subscribing on the monthly bases for $16.99

It breaks down to about $0.15 per plugin per month for me. And I'm pretty sure access to these will generate more than 15 cents per plugin for me.

I don't have any other plugin subscriptions and I use the PA stuff heavily, so for me it makes sense. I totally understand if you already have other subs that adding another and another and another ends up getting expensive.

I would of course prefer to own, but for $17 a month it works for me right now. I'll try it for a few months and drop it if I don't use the majority of the plugins and then just buy the ones I use.

I'll have a video out about the sub process and breaking down the math later today...I think

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-01-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis View Post
I am a brand new PA user and I got the Shadow Hills compressor plus 6 other plugins for $200 total. I used the $50 voucher they sent to me and I just kept adding $50 plugins until the grand total stopped lowering. Don't need another subscription (monthly bills from AVID and Slate are enough!)
Took advantage of the dynamic discount I see. Something PA changed a couple of weeks back is they no longer allow the $29 plugins to be part of the dynamic discount scheme. Too many people were doing just that to bring down plugin prices something fierce.

QAPLA!
Old 08-01-2019, 01:53 PM

Yeah, I noticed the dynamic discount only worked with plugins $49 and above.

The whole process felt kinda...dirty. Now I have one plugin I wanted and 6 others I'm indifferent towards.

I hope they release a higher-res GUI for the SHC, tho, the fonts are kinda blurry on my 2560x1440 Apple display.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:56 PM

I already own a lot of PA plugins so I probably won't do the subscription. I'll just buy the newer ones I want.

I don't fault them for providing the subscription route. Heck, they have been practically giving stuff away for some time now with vouchers and sales discounts, I was getting worried they'd go under. They are a good company and that'd be a loss. I use PA on nearly everything.
RME, Daking, Heritage, ISA, Sytek

Old 08-01-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post
I already own a lot of PA plugins so I probably won't do the subscription. I'll just buy the newer ones I want.

I don't fault them for providing the subscription route. Heck, they have been practically giving stuff away for some time now with vouchers and sales discounts, I was getting worried they'd go under. They are a good company and that'd be a loss. I use PA on nearly everything.

They are also one of the few companies still pushing out AAX-DSP plugins, and for no additional charge either like McDSP or Sonnox do.

I remember back in the day when they included the $9 bx_tuner plugin in the dynamic discounts. You could pretty well grab any plugin for 60% off plus $22.50. It really isn't surprising that they have clamped down on the discounts.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKG View Post

PA stuff gets heavy use here - bx_meter on my 2-bus and other places, Iron on piano tracks, bx_Digital V3 for surgical correction; the Bax EQ and Elysia Alpha comp live in my mastering chain.

Right now I'm waiting for the Ampeg B15 to drop this month and that'll be it unless they come up with something that I must have. Why the B15 - used to have one back in the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
They are also one of the few companies still pushing out AAX-DSP plugins, and for no additional charge either like McDSP or Sonnox do.

I remember back in the day when they included the $9 bx_tuner plugin in the dynamic discounts. You could pretty well grab any plugin for 60% off plus $22.50. It really isn't surprising that they have clamped down on the discounts.
I got the tuner and bx_meter on deals like that.

QAPLA!
Old 08-03-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I ended up subscribing on the monthly bases for $16.99

(snip...)

I'll have a video out about the sub process and breaking down the math later today...I think
A couple days late but here you can see the full price breakdown (spoiler: heavy hitters do indeed pay a bit more)

And here you can see the subscription process live.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-05-2019, 01:59 AM

Soooo .... The Ampeg B-15N is $129 with the code and for us in sweden it is $179 as Taxes are insane so we rather buy more hardware. We have the Kemper Profiling Amp aswell as some Fenders and Dual Rectifier and more and in the Slate bundle the TH-U guitar plugin included in the Everything bundle is amazing so we bought the American Classics add-on and LOVE IT! And we use hardware for Bass anyways so these new Intro prices are not of interest just by principle alone

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-05-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And we use hardware for Bass anyways
Interested in my Fender custom shop jazz bass? I've been passively selling it this summer without success so far...
Old 08-05-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Soooo .... The Ampeg B-15N is $129 with the code and for us in sweden it is $179 as Taxes are insane so we rather buy more hardware. We have the Kemper Profiling Amp aswell as some Fenders and Dual Rectifier and more and in the Slate bundle the TH-U guitar plugin included in the Everything bundle is amazing so we bought the American Classics add-on and LOVE IT! And we use hardware for Bass anyways so these new Intro prices are not of interest just by principle alone
$99 with VIP code here.
PA is wrong about this - it's NOT a B15N but a B15 Heritage - they are different animals. Here's a link to an article on the pre-Heritage B15: https://reverb.com/news/the-golden-a...b-15-1960-1980 and if you want a look at what a Heritage model here's a link to a Sweetwater page for one: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-heritage-b-15

I know the Heritage model has the bias circuits from both a B15NC and B15NF so you have that flexibility. Also the NC and NF introduced a printed circuit board. The wiring behind the tone stack changed in the NC to a wired, plastic-coated, integrated circuit. Trying to decide if what's on offer is something I can live with. Then again I have the rest of the month to decide. Still sad it's not a B15N which is the model I had back in the day.

QAPLA!