Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2018, 10:07 AM

Default Re: How is Pro Tools 2018 behaving?

So, I'm seeing positive and negative comments about the stability of things, which is to be expected.

Can a moderator chime in who has a tie with Avid and can answer if they will refund if this doesn't work?

I'm willing to reinstate my annual subscription, but there's gotta be some kind of guarantee that users will be compensated in the event it's a total failure. The last time I tried Pro Tools with El Capitan, it was a complete failure and completely unusable due to graphics with no fix whatsoever available. This wasn't something I found out in time with multiple recording sessions, but something that was apparent from the very start within a couple of minutes.

One can't be expected to pay $29.99 for a month subscription as a "trial" only to find out that it doesn't work as advertised immediately with no available solution or fix and zero support, can they?? Please tell me there is some sort of willingness on Avid's side to strand by their product?? They literally have nothing to lose since they control the user's account. Please someone with ties to Avid chime in and let me know the scoop. I've got work to do and need peace of mind.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 AM

I doubt you would get a refund. Your part of the deal is to have a system that meets the requirements and doesn't have any weird issues with it.

There are tons of people using 2018 without any major issues (super stable here) so posting your system configuration would probably be a good start.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 05-24-2018, 10:49 AM

Default How is Pro Tools 2018 behaving?

Especially if you "have work to do"...A $30 trial is the answer. Its the option you have, unfortunately complaining here is not going to change stuff, its been this way for years. What does it matter if you can't get a refund for $30. Your time you will spend checking out if stuff works should be worth orders of magnitude more than that to you, and nobody is going to refund you that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Especially if you "have works to do"...A $30 trial is the answer. Its the option you have, unfortunately complaining here is not going to change stuff, its been this way for years. What does it matter if you can't get a refund for $30. Your time you will spend checking out if stuff works should be worth orders of magnitude more than that to you, and nobody is going to refund you that.

Cool! Thanks for getting back to me! Not complaining. If that's how it is, that's how it is. Just inquiring to find out if that's something Avid will do, because if they did, why would one not ask?? After all, as you say, time is worth something, and what a let down if one pays $30 for their time of reformatting their whole system to find out it doesn't work one minute in once reformatted.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I doubt you would get a refund. Your part of the deal is to have a system that meets the requirements and doesn't have any weird issues with it.

There are tons of people using 2018 without any major issues (super stable here) so posting your system configuration would probably be a good start.
Cool! Thanks for chiming in! I appreciate it. It's good to hear another successful review on your end! Time to give it a go.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:57 PM

Can you test with PT|First? I know it's not the same thing, but if PT|First runs reasonably well, you can probably safely assume that the real deal will run well.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigFriedChicken View Post
Can you test with PT|First? I know it's not the same thing, but if PT|First runs reasonably well, you can probably safely assume that the real deal will run well.

I disagree, Pro Tools first is different enough and crippled enough that it is not worth testing. Why waste valuable time on that vs. testing *exactly* what you will use. A user's time should be the most valuable thing here, wasting that is a poor decision.

Old 05-24-2018, 05:12 PM

At the moment, I can’t believe how bad software updates have been.

Last April, one week before my plan ended, I took action, and put a support ticket in to try and fix the issues with the current version of PT (2018.4)

At that point I’m already running a 6 month old version, and that makes no sense, subscribing for a new year.

Actually did renew for another year, just not to get penalised at the point the software will work again

Running all Avid hardware, with a qualified Mac, exactly the way I’ve been rolling for 20 years now with PT’s, I do that to not have issues.

So I spent all my spare time outside my normal working day for 9 days to uncover a bug, that Avid CS’s flagged up as ‘Critical’ having replicated my issue on the very machine used for qualification.

I don’t have time in my day to be a beta tester.. and these issues should’ve never got past that stage. clearly the Beta team do not represent the PT’s population, and that clearly needs to be revamped.

This is my opinion as a active subscriber, and therefore feel Im paying for this process, I now need to see the result!

You have my money Avid, ..tell me the good news, or refund me.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:55 AM

Running 2018.4 HDX on Windows here. I run all day, every day without crashes and have very few errors.

What works for me is:

All required system tweaks are done.

No conflicting software installed.

No other software in Startup.

No Internet while Pro Tools is running.

When installing a new plug-in, take the time to evaluate it's impact on performance.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-25-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Running 2018.4 HDX on Windows here. I run all day, every day without crashes and have very few errors.

What works for me is:

All required system tweaks are done.

No conflicting software installed.

No other software in Startup.

No Internet while Pro Tools is running.

When installing a new plug-in, take the time to evaluate it's impact on performance.

I would echo these observations and approach. The only tweak I make is if I am running UAD 8 digital outs via Console into my HDI/O, i change affinity for ProTools to turn off the hyper threaded 1st core, (0,1).

I have internet accessible however do not run any browsers. I also turn off Windows defender via services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro