How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-25-2012, 04:33 PM

Default Pro Tools Motherboard compatibility...New computer being built

Greetings all!

Thank you for reading upon this post.

I am about to build a new music computer and would like to know if these motherboards are compatible with the new mbox 3rd generation and pro tools 9/10?

-1st....Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 1155 ATX (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157265)

-2nd...ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131792)

If these are compatible which one would be better?

I will using the i7 2700k as my processor/cpu and I intend to overclock it at some point. I will have a water cooling solution for the overclocking. I will have an external graphics card as well.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much for your response!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Motherboard compatibility...New computer being built

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtheproducer View Post
I am about to build a new music computer
Good luck! Avid products are not friendly with PC's, especially self-build. And they have no plan to patch, update, or offer help in any way besides tell you to "buy a mac"

Be prepared to install, test, return to store, install, test, return to store, repeat for CPU, mobo, graphics card, FW card and more.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRyanAudio View Post
Good luck! Avid products are not friendly with PC's, especially self-build. And they have no plan to patch, update, or offer help in any way besides tell you to "buy a mac"

Be prepared to install, test, return to store, install, test, return to store, repeat for CPU, mobo, graphics card, FW card and more.
Really? I look down upon Avid for not listing more motherboards as compatible on a Windows OS.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:

There maybe smoother sailing with a Mac, indeed, but there have been successful PC builts:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=238426
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:

I second that!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:

I'm using an Asus P8P67 which is a year old now, but works perfectly well.

1) I've emailed Avid support three times in the past weeks since I installed PT10 Win Native and they were polite, professional, and helpful each time.

2) Yeah, PT is picky about PC parts, but it's not near that dire if you do your homework. I could tell my video card seemed a little off, so I replaced it myself before installing.

3) There's nothing wrong with being a copycat if you copy the right cat. Just copy a working configuration. It's not brain surgery.

4) The company has been nothing if not industrious at incorporating all sorts of improvements into the software. It doesn't matter if other DAWs already had them. This contradicts your statement the company sits around uncaring, doing nothing all day.

5) If a Mac was the last computer on earth I would never buy one because of the company's history of insulting ads trying to get the point across that Mac-heads are hip and elite and PC-heads are dullards with zero personality.

It is true the Avid PC component recommendations are an outdated joke. It is also true that I have more PC experience than most people. But I am hardly a PC tech all day and haven't run a DAW in many years. My system is rock solid. It is rock solid because I accepted the fact the component bar would be raised if I went with Avid and just worked through a couple of imcompatabiliites without feeling like I'd been singled out for persecution.

Alternatively, I could have paid four times as much for a gleaming new Mac Pro than what I paid for a used but modern PC system. No, thanks!
Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 AM

Intel i7 9xx (socket 1366) on an X58 motherboard is proven solid and reliable. SandyBridge E(socket 2011) on an X79 motherboard looks really promising(a few builds are up and running with excellent results). There are simply too many options and combinations for any company to test them all. Apple makes a handful so it doesn't take long to test and verify those.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissful World View Post
5) If a Mac was the last computer on earth I would never buy one because of the company's history of insulting ads trying to get the point across that Mac-heads are hip and elite and PC-heads are dullards with zero personality.

Alternatively, I could have paid four times as much for a gleaming new Mac Pro than what I paid for a used but modern PC system. No, thanks!
Couldn't have said it any better! F**k a mac. Its nothing more than an expensive fisher price and Id much rather have a tonka. :)))
NVidia GTX 650 2GB DDR5
12GB OCZ DDR3 Ram
1 - 128gb Samsung SSD
3 - 2TB Seagate 7200rpm harddrives
Phillips Bluray 12x burner
Mbox 3 Pro w/ProTools 10.3.9
Windows 8.1 64Bit Pro
Old 02-26-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissful World View Post
It is true the Avid PC component recommendations are an outdated joke. It is also true that I have more PC experience than most people. But I am hardly a PC tech all day and haven't run a DAW in many years. My system is rock solid. It is rock solid because I accepted the fact the component bar would be raised if I went with Avid and just worked through a couple of imcompatabiliites without feeling like I'd been singled out for persecution.
First, how did you find an e-mail address for support? I've been searching all over the site and everything points to buying a support ticket.

And yes, the company did make improvements constantly to the software and does a few things other DAWs can't. But they DON'T do anything for improving the software on PCs, or even care about comparability. So, in lieu of persecution, they shun the thought of an Avid user owning a PC and do business accordingly.

"Buy a Mac" is not a good solution for PC technical support. And that's what's happening
Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 PM

Albee has given some very good advice. I have a PC and it is rock solid with PT. If you think Macs are magic, read the Mac threads and you'll see there are problems they encounter too.

As a general rule, do research, build what has been successful or buy what has been successful, follow the recommendations for how to tune up your computer for PT (Mac or PC), and be careful about what other software and hardware you add beyond what you need to run PT.

Good Luck,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .