Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-28-2003, 06:35 PM

Default FTP tests

Hi,

Is anyone willing to run a few tests that involve uploading and downloading spots, OMF's and quicktime bounces to and from a server?

I need to test:
1) The time it takes to download an OMF of a 60 second spot from a server (that also has quicktime picture file as well).
2) The time it takes to upload a quicktime movie of the mix.
3) The smoothness of the process of placing audio bounces of 90, 60 and 30 second mixes and M&E's of spots as well.

Contact us at [email protected] if you're interested in running some tests with us.

Thanks.
Old 06-29-2003, 08:04 PM

Default Re: FTP tests

As I think about it, maybe using Stuffit is the best way to do multiple files to and from a client.

Also does Fetch change the kind of file depending on the format and mode: Automatic, Raw, Text, Mac Binary, etc ...?

Any successful results regarding these issues?
Old 06-30-2003, 10:14 AM

I’ve just done some of this recently back and forth between NYC and Panama. I FTP’d 15 secs OMF with 8 channels of audio. No picture. It did take some time, about 5 minutes to upload with a broadband server. I up/downd as an OMF not stuffed. I was using someone elses server.

Hope that helps a bit.

"Do not fear mistakes. There are none."

Miles Davis
Old 06-30-2003, 10:46 AM

I have done a fair amount of this and I can share these tips:
Check both Upload and Download settings in Fetch
(Upload text and raw data)
Do not use automatic on download.

I have never stuffed an OMF but I worked at a facility for a while that had a Windows based server and it corrupted EVERY mac-based file that passed thru it unless it was stuffed. (Make your stuffed file a self-extracting archive)

Also, a lot of edit houses use file areas in their website accessible only with a browser. Make sure your browser doesn't change the file types on download.

Upload and download speed is dependent upon the speed of your link to the ftp site as well as the other activity going on there. If the site is actually someone's server it can be very slow when other people at that company are moving big files around.

I hope that helps some.
212-986-6445
Old 06-30-2003, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz:
I’ve just done some of this recently back and forth between NYC and Panama. I FTP’d 15 secs OMF with 8 channels of audio. No picture. It did take some time, about 5 minutes to upload with a broadband server. I up/downd as an OMF not stuffed. I was using someone elses server.

Hope that helps a bit.
I'm assuming you had to upload the .omf file and it's media. Stuffing it would have probably sped up the process.

Idealy I'd love to run some test with an Avid MC user.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2003, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by P Dennis Mitchell:
I have done a fair amount of this and I can share these tips:
Check both Upload and Download settings in Fetch
(Upload text and raw data)
Do not use automatic on download.

I have never stuffed an OMF but I worked at a facility for a while that had a Windows based server and it corrupted EVERY mac-based file that passed thru it unless it was stuffed. (Make your stuffed file a self-extracting archive)

Also, a lot of edit houses use file areas in their website accessible only with a browser. Make sure your browser doesn't change the file types on download.

Upload and download speed is dependent upon the speed of your link to the ftp site as well as the other activity going on there. If the site is actually someone's server it can be very slow when other people at that company are moving big files around.

I hope that helps some.
So is it Text on the download and Raw for the upload (within Fetch prefs)? Also in the upload prefs, what about the suffixes? There's also a box that says Encode/decode.

This will help me make a little cheat sheet.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:01 AM

As I gather my info, can anyone confirm this advice:

"Files are kept readable 2 ways: 1 is to set the format to MacBinary III
(leave the mode on Automatic), and the second way is keep the format at
Automatic and make sure the file has a file extension on it ( audio01.sd2,
movie.mov ). The second way is safer and windows-friendly.

Stuffit is fine to use, you can stuff anything and post it and it will all
come out on the other end fine. Stuffing files is encouraged, takes up less
space and means less upload and download time".

Is this right?
Old 06-30-2003, 11:05 AM

We're doing this daily between locations in LA and LA to NY. We use FETCH. You should not need to stuff files, that takes too long on large files and we have found is unnecessary. Make sure FETCH is set to upload using MACBINARY II or III (set this in the preferences if you use drag-and-drop or at the bottom of the screen if you use the buttons to send/receive) and you should not have problems. Also, I would kindly disagree with one of the other posts, we avoid RAW/TEXT settings,; never had that work for Mac-Mac xfers.

As others mentioned, the speed is dependent largely on your net connection on both ends. We average about 10 minutes per gigabyte up/down load with T3 connections on either end.

Cheers,
Polaris
Old 06-30-2003, 11:23 AM

Now let me ask: We will be receiving OMF's with accompanying quicktime movies for Mac based Media Composers.

Then I'd like to send a Movie bounce of my mix for review (to the producers Windows machine).

And finally send the approved mix's audio back to the Avid / Mac machine.

Isn't the best way to stuff the movie bounce mix so I could possibly email that to the producer (without him having to climb on the server?

Please advise

Thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 10:14 PM

Okay I'm getting there ... slowy!

Can you share you StuffIt settings? I have 30 second spot that is 123mb. When I tried to use DropStuff (for the first time) it only compressed down to 106mb.

Is it like this:

FETCH - Automatic is fine once you have the extention on the file. Except that it strips the SD2 files no matter what.
Always Stuffing is the best bet ... especially going to a windows machine (like I wil be doing).
STUFFIT - DropZip is the one to use when going to a window's machine if they may not have Stuffit Expander.
In the preferences setting it to Faster helped the stuff time but not the size reduction much, HELP (can I get the size to be emailable).
I can use DropStuff to windows if I do self extracting for Windows?
Lastly, run by me BinHex please.

Almost there (I think),