Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 08-12-2018, 05:14 PM

Default Bye 11R

Well, I've finally succumbed.

It's time to move on from the 11R, now awaiting delivery of the AxeFXIII.

The orange baby has grown old (before growing up ). I've owned one since it was first released and currently own two. It's been a great unit and comparing it to the AxeIII it's a damn shame it was never given any love from Avid. It could have been so much more.

No regrets though, I certainly got my moneys worth out of it/them over the years.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 08-12-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Bye 11R

Congrats on the AxeIII.
I too have moved on from my 11R, but like you; I enjoyed many years of great tones, ease of use and feel I got my moneys worth out of that box.

System Details
Old 08-13-2018, 10:44 AM

Software today is so good, so I usually use software based sims because there are so many more options. But the great thing about the 11R, even today, and going forward, you can always record the dry guitar track and use any amp sim on it that you want after the fact. And of course, if the 11R sound works, just use that.

I don't see myself getting rid of my 11R ever, it's so useful even today. Even though I'm using a lot of Plugin Alliance sims on the final product (in my testing they are some of the most realistic sims) the 11R still has it's place.

And of course it's great to be able play guitar without having to turn on a PC or open a DAW.

LONG LIVE THE ELEVEN RACK!

Lets see some pics and hear some tones when you get the AXE FXIII 🤘

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-13-2018, 01:20 PM

Just checked out the AXE FXIII, as I haven't bought my 11R yet, and I can safely say it's way out of my budget. I think this is why the 11R is still appealing because for the price it's on sale for these days, you get a lot for your money.

For me, it's an all-around audio interface and effects processor for guitar, synths, and vocals, plus other advantages like what Benoni mentioned above. What else could I buy which does all of that in the same price range?

From my limited experience of owning an 11R, the display may be a little dated now - but as I said on another thread - the menu is really intuitive. Anyway, I like the slightly retro appearance - I'm guessing they were going for that 1970s machine look when it was made?
Old 08-13-2018, 02:16 PM

I say go for it. The 11R is a fantastic unit and you do get a lot for your money. As I said, no regrets from me and I doubt you ever will regret buying one either.

I feel that I've outgrown it but will keep one of them 'for ol times sake'.

The only reason I can actually afford and AxeIII is I have a vehicle surplus to requirement....lol that sounds crazy, selling a car to buy a piece of kit.

HD 96I/O
Old 09-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Sounds like a good move - congrats on the new Ferrari.. oops Axefx3
Those that can get it do for good reason.
I found the 11 rack tones to be mediocre especially for overdriven stuff.
To be honest I’ve used it as an interface and monitor controller for most of its 10 year or so lifespan in my setup.
Clean tones are acceptable but distortion not so much.
There’s way too many software options for useable tones that become stellar within a mix.

And to the army of archers with quivering taught bowstrings ready to jump in and unleash on the 11 rack heretic I agree. With sufficient work, tweaking, research, impulses, cab sims and menu diving I’m sure the tones are useable if not amazing. Unfortunately I prefer to plug and play and in my experience there’s way better options: NI Guitar Rig - BIAS and even - ez mix guitar gods put the 11 rack distortion tones to shame.

But the AfeFx well sir you should be walking through Elysian Fields as soon as that baby fires up. Enjoy!
Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debeauville View Post
congrats on the new Ferrari.. oops Axefx3
I don't really think of it as such, rather; The Axe achieved what the 11R originally set out to do.

The rest, you've summed up quite nicely.

I must say, the AxeIII is an awesome piece of kit. I've had it now for almost a month and have hardly scratched the surface. Having said that, I was stuck for a week playing the first preset (un-tweaked) as it was so good.

Compared to the 11R, it's a lot harder to dial in my tones as there are so many more parameters for each 'block', but the result is absolutely stellar. I'm glad I had the 11R/s for so long as they gave me plenty of practice using a modeler

One of the most amazing things though is; the continuous developmental work being done as firmware upgrades flow out so regularly. I know the III is a new product, but the older Axes still get plenty of attention as well.

Anyway, I don't want to come across as anti 11R. That unit has a special place in my personal life and I've spent so much time with it that I'll definitely be keeping one on hand.

The software option doesn't work for me particularly for gigging & the Axe is perfectly versatile in the studio with regards to dry and re-amping solutions. It slots into a Pro Tools session just as seamlessly as the 11R.

HD 96I/O

Last edited by zedhed; 09-09-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:26 AM

Zedhed

I bought a used FX II about a year ago. It’s nice, I don’t use 1/10th of the options and think the high gain amps sound pretty much equally annoying, until you start tweaking them and letting a little of the guitar through. It’s a great tool.

That said, the ease of use of 11R is key is fantastic. And as nice as the AXE FX is, the stomp boxes in 11R look like stomp boxes. So cool.

It may lack a lot of features but it reminds me that tone is still in the fingers.

I keep both in my rack and switch back and forth. For inspiration I will load up some of the 11R presets that other users have uploaded to the internet. I find many them better than the factory or Sweetwater user presets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
I don't really think of it as such, rather; The Axe achieved what the 11R originally set out to do.

The rest, you've summed up quite nicely.

I must say, the AxeIII is an awesome piece of kit. I've had it now for almost a month and have hardly scratched the surface. Having said that, I was stuck for a week playing the first preset (un-tweaked) as it was so good.

Compared to the 11R, it's a lot harder to dial in my tones as there are so many more parameters for each 'block', but the result is absolutely stellar. I'm glad I had the 11R/s for so long as they gave me plenty of practice using a modeler

One of the most amazing things though is; the continuous developmental work being done as firmware upgrades flow out so regularly. I know the III is a new product, but the older Axes still get plenty of attention as well.

Anyway, I don't want to come across as anti 11R. That unit has a special place in my personal life and I've spent so much time with it that I'll definitely be keeping one on hand.

The software option doesn't work for me particularly for gigging & the Axe is perfectly versatile in the studio with regards to dry and re-amping solutions. It slots into a Pro Tools session just as seamlessly as the 11R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
I say go for it. The 11R is a fantastic unit and you do get a lot for your money. As I said, no regrets from me and I doubt you ever will regret buying one either.

I feel that I've outgrown it but will keep one of them 'for ol times sake'.

The only reason I can actually afford and AxeIII is I have a vehicle surplus to requirement....lol that sounds crazy, selling a car to buy a piece of kit.
If ya selling one, what do you want for it.... perhaps even a West Island discount haha
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 10-04-2018, 09:16 PM

Matter of fact I do. PM me, I'll give you a good deal but you'll have to front up shipping cost.

HD 96I/O