Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 02-24-2015, 06:46 PM

Default ERXP Firmware Upgrade fails with IE9 or later

Hello all,

I was directed by Avid Technical support to post my experience trying to upgrade my Eleven Rack to the new firmware with the expansion pack. I had a few hiccups that caused some hair pulling, but I figured it out and thought I'd share.

I ran the firmware updater on a 64 bit Windows 7 system. The updater was installed on my desktop as it should, but when I ran it, it would immediately shut down. It turned out this was because I had Internet Explorer 11 installed. I was aware that version 9 caused problems, but did not know 11 did.

I followed the instructions Avid provided and removed IE11 from my system but continued having the same problem. I rebooted multiple times but to no avail. I eventually found in a google search the solution: uninstalling IE11 doesn't remove the windows update for IE 11. Those have to be removed separately.

I had to go into control panel/uninstall programs/view installed updates, then manually remove any updates to Internet Explorer 11.

After that, it worked just fine, but it seems it's not enough to remove IE, but you have to remove the installed updates even after the program is gone to resolve the issue of having the firmware updater placed on your desktop instantly crash when you run it.

I hope this helps someone.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Expansion pack/Firmware upgrade experience - Removing IE11 and update

I had several problems installing the updater. Once I got past the mismatching serial numbers / system Id's I had bern provided the updater app just quit. I followed the advice of this post. It took 3 restarts (remove IE11, IE10 and IE9) and then it worked like a dream.
I can't thank you enough for posting this. I think it's worth sticky'ing.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack Expansion pack/Firmware upgrade experience - Removing IE11 and update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catatonicuk View Post
I had several problems installing the updater. Once I got past the mismatching serial numbers / system Id's I had bern provided the updater app just quit. I followed the advice of this post. It took 3 restarts (remove IE11, IE10 and IE9) and then it worked like a dream.
I can't thank you enough for posting this. I think it's worth sticky'ing.
We had this info stickied before, don't know who took it down.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 07-24-2018, 12:10 PM

Default Eleven rack 2.0 upgrade with Windows 10

Don't know if anyone here can help me, but .....

I'm using an Eleven rack as a standalone- no pro-tools

Last week the 2.0 upgrade for my eleven rack. Installation using my win 10 machine was smooth until it came to actually came to updating the firmware on the unit. it woudl not update. The installation simply terminated at that point with no error message of any sort.

I checked this forum, and there is a "sticky" stating that this is cased by a conflict withe Internet Explorer 11, and I should de-install IE11.

Unfortunately, the post was discussing Windows 7. In Windows 10, there is no option to de-install IE 11, only an option to "disable " it. I tried disabling IE 11 and it made no difference.

I triedt o contact AVID but apparently they have no unpaid technical support, at least as fat as I can tell from the web page.

I then hauled an old Win 7 machine out of the closet, de-installed IE11, and tried the upgrade again. However, my serial number is apparently now registered to the other computer, and I only have 1 "seat licence" so it wont upgrade from this one either.

I'm currently our $98 and the eleven rack is the same as when I started. Help! Any suggestions?
Old 08-01-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
We had this info stickied before, don't know who took it down.
Benoni: User musicman691 over on the Gearslutz board suggested that I get in touch with you over the difficulties I'm having upgrading an Old Eleven RAck to version 2 firmware with a Win 10 machine.

Don't know if you saw my post # 2494911 in the forum inquiring about this, but if you have any ideas about this i'd be grateful to hear them.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin.halstead View Post
Benoni: User musicman691 over on the Gearslutz board suggested that I get in touch with you over the difficulties I'm having upgrading an Old Eleven RAck to version 2 firmware with a Win 10 machine.

Don't know if you saw my post # 2494911 in the forum inquiring about this, but if you have any ideas about this i'd be grateful to hear them.
Can you please describe the issues here.

I am assuming you are having issues because of the IE9+ problem.

AFAIK this was never fixed and the procedure outlined by Avid is to use an old computer with Windows XP or Windows 7 (sans ie9) and complete the update that way. Or you could use a Mac to get the update done.

I'll kick this up the chain. 👍

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-02-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Can you please describe the issues here.

I am assuming you are having issues because of the IE9+ problem.

AFAIK this was never fixed and the procedure outlined by Avid is to use an old computer with Windows XP or Windows 7 (sans ie9) and complete the update that way. Or you could use a Mac to get the update done.

I'll kick this up the chain. 👍
Thanks! Machine is Win 10 64 Bit. Eleven rack is at Firmware 1.0.2

I have the drivers, and the Eleven rack is recognized.

I am running the firmware installer as an admin. First time it requested my S/n and ID , which it took. The process went as far as the Windows message asking if I wanted to allow the updater to make changes . I hit yes and the updater terminated about a second later without updating the firmware.

I read the sticky on the IE problem suggesting de-installing IE and all updates to it. Unfortunately it appears that a user cannot "de-install" IE on a win 10 machine ( it may be "disabled" but not de-installed)

I tried disabling IE, and setting the default browser to Firefox so it wouldn't try and use Edge. No joy, same result

I have an old Win 7 machine in the closet I could use, but apparently my
"one seat installation" has already been used on the other machine, so the installer won't run. That's where I am now.

Any suggestions appreciated.

MH
Old 08-02-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Machine is Win 10 64 Bit. Eleven rack is at Firmware 1.0.2

I have the drivers, and the Eleven rack is recognized.

I am running the firmware installer as an admin. First time it requested my S/n and ID , which it took. The process went as far as the Windows message asking if I wanted to allow the updater to make changes . I hit yes and the updater terminated about a second later without updating the firmware.

I read the sticky on the IE problem suggesting de-installing IE and all updates to it. Unfortunately it appears that a user cannot "de-install" IE on a win 10 machine ( it may be "disabled" but not de-installed)

I tried disabling IE, and setting the default browser to Firefox so it wouldn't try and use Edge. No joy, same result

I have an old Win 7 machine in the closet I could use, but apparently my
"one seat installation" has already been used on the other machine, so the installer won't run. That's where I am now.

Any suggestions appreciated.

MH
Yes, Avid will need to reset your SN. I've already kicked this up the chain. If you don't hear anything by tomorrow, I'll make some more noise about it 👍

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-09-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, Avid will need to reset your SN. I've already kicked this up the chain. If you don't hear anything by tomorrow, I'll make some more noise about it 👍
Thanks for that. I'm very confused, however.

The original sticky speaks of "following the instructions Avid provided and removing IE11 from my system"

Does this mean there Avid has instructions on how to remove IE instead of "disable" it?

My Win7 machine is a 32 bit version of Win 7 pro with SP1 IE does not appear at all in the uninstall programs view[/I] It can be "disabled" (which I tried), but it cannot be "de-installed" from there.

the 11 rack still will not update on the win 7 machine with IE "disabled."

If there are instructions to de-install IE rather than disable it , does anyone have an idea what they are? ( they are not in the installation notes for the 2.0 upgrade)

Thanks
MH
Old 08-10-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks for that. I'm very confused, however.

The original sticky speaks of "following the instructions Avid provided and removing IE11 from my system"

Does this mean there Avid has instructions on how to remove IE instead of "disable" it?

My Win7 machine is a 32 bit version of Win 7 pro with SP1 IE does not appear at all in the uninstall programs view[/I] It can be "disabled" (which I tried), but it cannot be "de-installed" from there.

the 11 rack still will not update on the win 7 machine with IE "disabled."

If there are instructions to de-install IE rather than disable it , does anyone have an idea what they are? ( they are not in the installation notes for the 2.0 upgrade)

Thanks
MH
Yes, you need to uninstall IE9.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...oting/en394771

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio