Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 08-01-2018, 06:27 AM

Default Eleven Rack with a Fast Track C400

Hi All,

You may recall last December, I was considering an 11R to replace my Fast Track C400. I was very appreciative of the help given on this forum last time - although, sadly, it didn't go to plan.

The original idea was to give the C400 away, but the interface wasn't required in the end. As it happened, this came in handy for me as my 11R developed a fault shortly after I bought the unit and I sent it back. I've been continuing with the C400 ever since.

For the short time I owned an Eleven Rack, I loved it, up until the fault. There's something so nice about having onboard effects at your disposal. I loved the presets, being able to record dry and wet on to separate channels, personalizing a vocals chain, connecting my external synth and using 11R effects with it, the intuitive menus and general look of the unit.

Both the C400 and Eleven Rack are 96kHz / 24 bit. I never did any extensive test comparisons, but I recall thinking the 11R had a crisper sound compared to the slightly duller C400. Which leads me to my questions:

1. I'm thinking of keeping my C400 as my general audio interface, as it USB powered. Could I connect the Eleven Rack to the C400 via s/pdif and use the 11R for recording and the C400 for playback? What do you think about this?

2. I've noticed many modern audio interfaces are now 192kHz / 24 bit. Does this really matter? Is recording at this high rate discernible or advisable?

3. I'm still concerned about the Eleven Rack being supported. My operating system is Windows 10 and I've been reading posts about people having problems. Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack with a Fast Track C400

In tests most people can't tell any difference between 44.1 and 96, so that should answer your question about 192. There are arguments about plugins and higher sample rates etc... and while it's technically more accurate since it's sampled more often, no one will be able to tell. This is something engineers think about, not consumers, they have ZERO idea what sample rate or bit rate their music is and they probably don't care.

You can connect the Eleven Rack to another interface with SPDIF or audio cables.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-02-2018, 05:39 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack with a Fast Track C400

Thanks, Benoni. I think I already knew, really, but needed to hear it from someone else. Any thoughts on Windows 10 problems?

Last edited by Suddenly Clear; 08-02-2018 at 07:23 AM.