Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 AM

Default MTC Sync Broken in 10.3.4

Hi

We run Protools HDX slaved to incoming MIDI timecode. It works flawlessly, except when AVID inadvertently break it between builds.

This has happened with 10.3.4. Build 10.3.3 = perfect sync using incoming MTC. 10.3.4 = MTC sync not working: with Freewheel mode set to 'none' the locator display flashes between two different locations and the sync notifier at the bottom left of the Edit window alternates between 'waiting for sync' and 'waiting sync point'.

I've tested things by loading the last 10.3.3 session which I mixed last week and which sync'ed fine. It now no longer works - with session settings using 'Jam Sync' it starts ok, but does not stop or resync when the master is restarted, and does not follow loops from the master device (a separate Mac running Logic Pro).

Please can somebody from AVID advise. We can't work without sync.

Many thanks

Jules
Old 04-04-2013, 04:41 AM

Default Re: MTC Sync Broken in 10.3.4

Revert back to 10.3.3 for now. I will report this now. Thanks.

BTW, not sure if you do this but I maintain multiple boot partitions/drives so that when a new build comes out, there's no way it can make me lose more than a few minutes if there's an issue. Simply reboot from the last known working version. Cloning drives is easy and very useful.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:53 AM

Very grateful for the quick response Drew.

Just ran some more tests, and it IS sync'ing with clean sessions in both master and slave (ie. ProTools HDX and Logic on their respective systems).

I'm going to test further with full song sessions, but it's possible there's some corruption either in my Logic session or my PT session which is causing the issues. If so, I may have been slightly hasty with my post.

Will report further shortly.

Jules
Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 AM

... with a full session loaded in Logic and a blank session in ProTools, sync works ok.

With a full session in Logic and my working ProTools session (or any other), sync does not work - I get the symptoms detailed above. Suggests there's something awry in my ProTools session, although given that other recent PT sessions behave the same way, it's a bit mysterious.

I'm going to try and see if there's anything in the timeline that might be interfering with sync (?), but any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Might markers in the timeline interfere with sync?

Jules
Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 AM

Nope - it's not happening. Unless I'm mistaken, something looks like it's changed in 10.3.4. I just grabbed a video of PT to demonstrate what happens, but I can't upload it.

I'm going to go back to 10.3.3 and will report back.

Jules
Old 04-04-2013, 05:46 AM

Now I can't reinstall 10.3.3.

I've installed 3 times, including a safe uninstall.

Every time I fire it up, the splash screen flashes briefly and then disappears. This is wasting a lot of time.

Please can somebody advise how I can cleanly install 10.3.3 so I can carry on working.

Jules
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 AM

10.3.3 reinstalled - required a full uninstall in order to purge the system sufficiently for the install to 'take'.

Just loaded the same session and MTC sync is working as it should.

There's definitely something in 10.3.4 that's not working correctly Drew. Would be grateful if you could pass the message on to your devs. Shout if you need more information - jb at trailermen dot com.

Jules
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerman View Post
There's definitely something in 10.3.4 that's not working correctly Drew. Would be grateful if you could pass the message on to your devs.
Done.

Would be great if an HDX user could test.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:38 AM

Was just wondering if there was any news on this issue? I'm happy to sit 10.3.4 out - 10.3.3 works fine for me. Would just be nice to know it's been fed through to the QA team for PT 11.

Jules
Old 04-25-2013, 04:21 AM

I'd try re-posting this here>

http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8

You're likely to find users with more sync experience there.

And I reported this again so hopefully someone will chime in, although this is technically a USER conference and your best bet might be to open a support ticket.