Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 12-03-2019, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2019 + Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The first rocket scientists btw were german. V2 was the first ICBM
Actually, the first rocket scientists (liquid fuel -1926 ) were arguably American as Werner Von Braun was inspired by Robert Goddard. No arguing Von Braun took it further, as in from the V2 and to the moon once he came over here.
Focusrite Clarett 8preX/Audient ID22 / UA Apollo Twin Duo-Thunderbolt / Harrison Mixbus and Mixbus 32c/ Wavelab Pro 9.5/Cubase Pro 10/ Logic Pro-X/Final Cut ProX/NI Komplete 10/Reaktor 6/ Kontakt 6/Cinematic Studio Strings/Solo String/Piano/ Synthogy American Steinway D/Superior Drummer 3.0 NY Studio/Omnisphere 2.6/ Collection/Waves Grand Masters/Waves Abbey Road Plates/Waves Gold/Waves H-Delay&H-Comp/Many UAD2 Plugins
Old 12-03-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSR6P-Bob View Post
Actually, the first rocket scientists (liquid fuel -1926 ) were arguably American as Werner Von Braun was inspired by Robert Goddard. No arguing Von Braun took it further, as in from the V2 and to the moon once he came over here.
No, you are misinformed. It was german technology, period. Actually not a good thing.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:46 AM

I think this is pretty unacceptable for a company that charges the prices you do. As processors get faster, drives get faster.. it could affect your future. Over the past 10 years I have watched Avid's customer care/service get worse and worse. To not be prepared for new OS releases, and make users wait a year, is totally unacceptable. At some point you will continue to loose the customers that support your business. I think you might want to allocate employees and resources to address issues that are important. Just sayin'
Old 12-04-2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
No, you are misinformed. It was german technology, period. Actually not a good thing.
Actually, no. While it was Von Braun that came over to escape Hitler and straightened things out Goddard was doing rockets long before that. But if you think about it the first actual rocketeers were the Chinese. Without them Goddard, Von Braun and others wouldn't have done what they did.

QAPLA!
Old 12-04-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Actually, no. While it was Von Braun that came over to escape Hitler and straightened things out Goddard was doing rockets long before that. But if you think about it the first actual rocketeers were the Chinese. Without them Goddard, Von Braun and others wouldn't have done what they did.
Indeed. I was crediting that first liquid fuel rocket by Goddard that later informed Von Brauns work but the Chinese were indeed the first with solid propellant rockets used for fireworks displays.

Nice break from bashing AVID.....
Focusrite Clarett 8preX/Audient ID22 / UA Apollo Twin Duo-Thunderbolt / Harrison Mixbus and Mixbus 32c/ Wavelab Pro 9.5/Cubase Pro 10/ Logic Pro-X/Final Cut ProX/NI Komplete 10/Reaktor 6/ Kontakt 6/Cinematic Studio Strings/Solo String/Piano/ Synthogy American Steinway D/Superior Drummer 3.0 NY Studio/Omnisphere 2.6/ Collection/Waves Grand Masters/Waves Abbey Road Plates/Waves Gold/Waves H-Delay&H-Comp/Many UAD2 Plugins
Old 12-04-2019, 06:59 AM

Logic only costs $199, one time payment and it's yours FOREVER
Logic offers way more than PT, and comes with tons of VST's
Logic is light years ahead of PT
Logic supports Catalina
Logic is the logical choice
Old 12-04-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomspot View Post
New 16" MacBook Pro is ordered and on the way to me. Any word on when PT will be updated with support for OSX Catalina? The first Catalina beta was rolled out June 2019 so Avid has had access to the SDK's for months now.

Thanks.
the 64 bit path info has been out for several years with Mojave. Adobe has Premiere working in Catalina, so Avid's team is losing out as well on video editing.

Plan for May for the update.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 12-04-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclee View Post
Logic only costs $199, one time payment and it's yours FOREVER
Logic offers way more than PT, and comes with tons of VST's
Logic is light years ahead of PT
Logic supports Catalina
Logic is the logical choice
To run Logic, you have to buy a Mac, which is not cheap

(BTW, I'm just stating the fact, it's not an opinion about this option)

PT Ultimate 2022.10 on macOS 12.6.1
Old 12-04-2019, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thheaven View Post
I think this is pretty unacceptable for a company that charges the prices you do. As processors get faster, drives get faster.. it could affect your future. Over the past 10 years I have watched Avid's customer care/service get worse and worse. To not be prepared for new OS releases, and make users wait a year, is totally unacceptable. At some point you will continue to loose the customers that support your business. I think you might want to allocate employees and resources to address issues that are important. Just sayin'
Agreed. The more I think about it the angrier I get. Avid would have had access to Apple's Software Developer Kit MONTHS ago, and if they didn't then they have an embarrassing relationship with Apple.

A company charging over $1000AUD + a $450(LOL!) yearly subscription should be able to allocate resources to have compatibility ready for an iOS update.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyno85 View Post
Agreed. The more I think about it the angrier I get. Avid would have had access to Apple's Software Developer Kit MONTHS ago, and if they didn't then they have an embarrassing relationship with Apple.

A company charging over $1000AUD + a $450(LOL!) yearly subscription should be able to allocate resources to have compatibility ready for an iOS update.
Having access to an SDK is one thing but trying to hit a moving target is damned near impossible. Keep in mind that a number of developers had access to that SDK but still said to NOT update to Catalina when it dropped. Better to wait until the gold master is out.

QAPLA!